Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Shellshock to discharge

Jonathan Saunders

I am researching a soldier discharged 03/06/1918 due to neurasthenia – this is presumably shell shock. Does anyone have knowledge/educated guess as to the duration of his medical attention before discharge ie. is it likely he was returned to the U.K. 6 months previously or was it likely to be longer. I realise each case would have been different and probably a very complicated process, but I am just looking for a rule of thumb.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan S

From Shellshock in France, to UK, to Discharge could be as little as three months, but could be a lot longer.

The soldier I was doing research on, was a reservist who had fought in South Africa with the 1st Battalion Manchester Regiment,he was at the defence of Ladysmith and was invalided home after the relief force had retaken the area.

1914 he was mobilised (his age was 37/207 days)and posted to the Humber defences with the 3rd or 4th Battalion Manchester Regiment, in early November 1914 he was posted to France with the 2nd Battalion Manchester Regiment, he was with this Battalion until he was wounded in January 1915, his wound was serious enough to be casualty evacuated to England, he was fit enough in October 1915 to be posted overseas with the 11th Battalion Manchester Regiment( Gallipoli).

The 11th Battalion Manchester Regiment moved back with its Division to France in 1916 and saw fighting on the Somme battlefield in the September & October, October 9 he was wounded again and evacuated to England. He did not recover his fitness for the frontline and was posted to the 12th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers ( late 2/4th Bn)he was then transferred to the 349th Protection company Royal Defence Corps.

He was medically discharged from the RDC 30th November 1917.

His cause of discharge was shellshock.

He was issued the following medals

Queens South Africa medal with bar ( Defence of Ladysmith)

1914 Star with clasp

British War Medal

Victory Medal

Silver War Badge

I can not say which trauma gave him the shellshock,however it did lead to him being Medically Discharged in November 1917.