Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Bn Highland Light Infantry

jay dubaya

After an old family friend died earlier this year I was kindly given a small collection of military badges he had collected over the years. One that stuck out is this tiny detailed brooch measuring 37/25mm. I know for sure that this is not an official collar dog for the battalion, it's brass and appears to have been blackened although this has been polished from the front, also the brooch fastner looks to be original. Interestingly the badge has strong Maldon connections and I note that the 2/9th Bn HLI spent time here between March 1916 to January 1917.

Have a got myself a 'sweetheart brooch'?

cheers, Jon

post-15439-0-53977800-1315173615.jpg post-15439-0-70352400-1315173631.jpg

Jon - great object. Yes, you are right about the Maldon link. By 1916 the 2nd line, 6th Battalion, HLI had an orderly room at 27 London Road and a field kitchen in the adjacent yard. They had relocated from Dunfermline, Fife, and during the move 85 pairs of boots, some tools and 3 stable barrows went missing! Maldon's Inspector of Police offered a £5 reward for any information!

What is your connection with Maldon?

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Thanks gents, it's the first sweetheart brooch that I've ever seen. Were these made local jewelers or by official badge makers?

My inlaws of 27 years used to live on Wantz Road until recently moving further down the road to Mundon. The brooch came from an elder gent who was a born and bred Maldon lad so I wonder if it belonged to his mother or father perhaps.

I have to confess to not reading your book yet Stephen and I'm unaware of any Green's that may have served during the war. Well done with the Town Memorial and I'll be looking forward to a walk down the prom next time I'm down that way.

cheers, Jon

Thanks Jon - fascinating. There is now a Thomas George Green on the memorial (RFA casualty).

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon (not that far from Wantz Road!).

Hi Jon:

Thomas George GREEN

Gunner (124802) Royal Field Artillery (48th Battery)

Born in North Holloway

Enlisted at St. Pancras

Died 18/9/1918 (aged 26)

Buried St. Amand British Cemetery (at V.C.3)

Was associated with Heybridge and is on the Heybridge memorial

Now also added to the Maldon Memorial

Cheers.

SPN

Maldon

Thanks for that, I'll have a chat with the inlaws and see what I can find out about the Green family

Jon

Good man. When I was a kid there was a lovely old boy in town called Jim Green who I interviewed about his time in Maldon (including his memory of the Great War years).

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Hi

Yes its def a sweetheart brooch, I have one just like it which was my grandfathers who served with the 9th Btln GH . I am also the membership secretary for the GH and we have loads of enquiries regarding badges medals etc, and few for info on Grandfathers who served.

Dan