Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RGA War Diaries

michaelpcoyle

I'm investigating the activities of an RGA unit, written up in personal documentation as 'RGA 1/1 h.mid: H.Bty:'. Would someone be good enough to translate that for me. The family of 214988 Dvr Frederick Robinson Bury, who survived the war, are keen to know where he served and what he did. He had mentioned that he had been 'at the Somme'. His available records give no clue as to his activities. Hope you can help. Mike

Unless he was transferred his number would indicate he was conscripted/mobilised around the 23 April 1918 and sent to No.1 Depot, Derby. From here he was probably sent to Heavy Artillery Depot Winchester for training before being sent out to France. The diary for 1/1 Nth. Midland Hvy Bty does not cover this time but the brigade that it belonged to can be found at the Nat. Archives, Kew, at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-2239273&CATLN=7&Highlight=%2C41%2CBRIGADE&accessmethod=0 .

Kevin

Are you sure the number and rank you have posted is correct. This appears to be your man. His MIC is available from the National archives, Not sure about the geneology websites.

Search for : Bury Frederick Robinson Royal Garrison Artillery 214983 Gunner

You should be able to find out whether he served overseas and if so, what date he went. It might also show that he served in another unit previously. Sorry,I can't view it so can't help further. Maybe someone else can?

Hello Mike

RGA Heavy and Siege Batteries were grouped into Heavy Artillery Groups with variable compositions, but from

about Feb 1918 the HAGs were re-designated Brigades RGA with more or less fixed compositions, and from that point individual battery War Diaries normally stop. The ones you want are in the National Archives at Kew in this file:

WO 95/472 Army Troops

WO 95/472 41 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 Mar. - 1919 June

WO 95/472 1/1 North Midland Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1915 Feb. - 1917 Nov.

War diaries were kept in duplicate so it is possible that there may also be copies at Woolwich. The diaries rarely mention men by name other than officers, but the location of the unit, and a brief description of its activities, is usually given for each day.

The National Archives' programme for making the diaries available online hasn't got to the artillery yet, so a personal visit to Kew may be necessary, but it should answer a lot of your questions.

Good hunting!

Ron

I'm investigating the activities of an RGA unit, written up in personal documentation as 'RGA 1/1 h.mid: H.Bty:'. Would someone be good enough to translate that for me. The family of 214988 Dvr Frederick Robinson Bury, who survived the war, are keen to know where he served and what he did. He had mentioned that he had been 'at the Somme'. His available records give no clue as to his activities. Hope you can help. Mike

[

HELLO MIKE,

IF THE BATTERY THAT YOU HAVE AN INTEREST IN IS THE 1/1 NORTH MIDLAND HEAVY BATTERY MANY YEARS AGO ( WHEN I WAS MUCH YOUNGER AND HAD MORE ENERGY ).

I MADE NUMEROUS VISITS TO THE THEN P.R.O. AND COPIED OUT ,!!!!!!!!!!!!,THE WAR DIARIES OF THE 1ST SIEGE BATTERY WHICH IN DECEMBER 1917 WAS THEN ,

FORMED INTO THE 41ST BRIGADE R.G.A. ( MOBILE ).WHICH INCLUDED 6TH S/BATTERY ,1/1 NORTHUMBRIAN HEAVY BATTERY..AND THE 1/1 NORTH MIDLAND HEAVY BATTERY..

IF THIS INFO IS HELPFUL PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

REGARDS ALLEN.

Hello Mike and Allen

A slight word of warning here: this may be a red herring. 1st Siege Battery was only one of four batteries (all listed by Allen) which were part of 41 HAG when it became 41 Brigade. 41 Brigade was not formed from 1st Siege Battery.

Ron

Hello Mike and Allen

A slight word of warning here: this may be a red herring. 1st Siege Battery was only one of four batteries (all listed by Allen) which were part of 41 HAG when it became 41 Brigade. 41 Brigade was not formed from 1st Siege Battery.

Ron

HELLO RON,

I SHOULD HAVE MADE MY REPLY CLEARER TO MIKE.AS YOU SAY ALL NAMED BATTERIES FORMED INTO 41ST BRIGADE.

IF I CAN INCLUDE WITH THIS MESSAGE SOME MORE INFO FOR MIKE.

UNLESS THE WAR DIARY HAS BEEN RECLASSIFIED ,WO/95/472 SHOULD BE THE N/A REF NUMBER.AND MY COPIES ARE FROM 22/12/1917 TO 28/2/1919.

ALTHOUGH VERY LITTLE DETAILS FOR 1919..

WORTH TRYING THE R.A,FIREPOWER MUSEUM FOR ANY SEPARATE INFO FOR YOUR OWN BATTERY INTEREST,

I WAS VERY LUCKY WITH THE 1ST S/B.DETAILS E/X R.G.A.SOLDIERS LEAVING THEIR OWN PERSONAL RECORDS TO THE MUSEUM.

ALLEN.

Thanks both. All grist to the mill as they say. The ferrets are out to get an outline of where, when and what Dvr Bury might have been engaged in. Thanks again. Mike