Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Boot Toe Plates

Wardog

I have bought two types of these plates recently. I expect they are reproductions but which type were in use first, or were they both being used at the start of the war?

Also, those of the lower 'm' shape type I have seen on boots have the letter markings F H R. Anyone seen period m plates without this mark? Regards, Paul.

post-14843-0-87383700-1315152244.jpg

Paul

I've only ever seen the "M" plates on the later, toecase pattern. I have a pair of B5s and a pair of toecase boots; both have the simple arc. On that basis I would imagine the "M" shape is a later development, tho' that's very hypothetical, based on seeing only an extremely small sample of WW1 boots, probably about two dozen pairs in 30 years.

Regards,

W.

Thanks Wainfleet. Yes, the 'm' style plate looks to be the one mainly used on toe case boots. The boots in this post seem to be thought to be a pre war boot-

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=165912&st=0&p=1614181&hl=boots&fromsearch=1entry1614181

So perhaps the m toe plates were added a few years later?

Regards, Paul.

I hadn't spotted the M plate on those early boots, but there's no reason to assume it isn't the same age as they are. So I'm now glad I qualified that theory as "very hypothetical"! Here's another theory: both types were used concurrently, the M shape less commonly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wardog,

Any chance you would be willing to sell your two sets of toe plates??? I just got two pairs of WWI B5 boots from Lennon Boots in the UK and need to find some toe plates.

Thanks,

Eric