Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

la Médaille d'honneur de l'Assistance publique (French Medal o

liamcornes1983

Has anyone come across the "la Médaille d'honneur de l'Assistance publique"" before? My Grandfather Pte 3592 Bert Blows, was awarded this medal for his RAMC work in France & Flanders, Does anyone have any information on this Medal?

Regards to All

Liam

la Médaille d'honneur de l'Assistance publique is a French decoration created in 1903 to recognize people dedicated to the cause of public assistance.

During WW1 there were 15 silver & 10 bronze medals awarded to British Commonwealth forces.

I do not have a photo of the medal but if you go to this link there is a modern version

http://semon.fr/MEDA...S%20HONNEUR.htm

In case you do not have it this is the LG link

http://www.london-ga...pplements/12412

Do you have the medals as I would love a photo?????

I did a Google search & most of the hits were for RAMC men doing medical work with French Civilians.

I have a database of WW1 Foreign Awards to Commonwealth forces & I have your G/father listed. If you ever find out why he was awarded it I would also love to know.

Peter

Hi ForeignGong,

I don't have a photo of My Grandfather wearing the Medal, but I have a photo of it along with his "Pip, Squeak, & Wilfred" the ribbon alas is in poor condition, though.

Regards

Liampost-75184-0-61481300-1315136609.jpg

And here is the other side post-75184-0-95354400-1315136744.jpg

I am going to write to the Ministre de Interieur for more information - as to what he did to be awarded this medal.

and will update you when i recieve a reply.

May i have a copy of this database that contains, Bert's Name? It makes me smile, to see his name printed

Regards

Liam

• 3 months later...

Hi, ForeignGong, thanks for that info - i've just come across such a (silver) medal awarded in 1914 to an Annie McIntosh. Does your listing include her, please? Bit of a question about the spelling of her name and whether she was attached to a British military unit.

la Médaille d'honneur de l'Assistance publique is a French decoration created in 1903 to recognize people dedicated to the cause of public assistance.

During WW1 there were 15 silver & 10 bronze medals awarded to British Commonwealth forces.

I do not have a photo of the medal but if you go to this link there is a modern version

http://semon.fr/MEDA...S%20HONNEUR.htm

Not a modern version, I think, as there is a paragraph saying the medal was discontinued in 1938. The middle one looks exactly the same as that awarded to Liam's grandfather. What surprised me is the name of the interior ministry on it, as the Assistance publique is the body that runs the Paris hospitals and one would expect it to be the health ministry. The Assistance publique has a museum with an archives department. There is also a separate documentation centre which might be able to help.

cheers Martin B

Hi, ForeignGong, thanks for that info - i've just come across such a (silver) medal awarded in 1914 to an Annie McIntosh. Does your listing include her, please? Bit of a question about the spelling of her name and whether she was attached to a British military unit.

Hi Paul

No I do not have her on my list, but that does not mean she did not get one, as the British Red Cross had permission to accept awards without gazetting. If you do find the authority for her award please let me know as I will add her to my list

The only Annie McIntosh I have is TFNS & has CBE & RRC But no Foreign Gongs

Peter

She's the one, Peter, MBE, CBE, RRC, but i never found her in TFNS. What are you looking at? Missed her in WO 399 and MICs.

Paul

P.S: Trained London Hosp, Matron at Bart's from 1907 to 1927.

Yes, Peter, been all through the archive, got CNS from her RRC citation, but nothing on dates/reason/nature of visit, let alone how she came by the medal. Suspect it was more of a jolly on the pretext of advising FRX in Paris, but no evidence for that. Paul.

P.S. lent my Red Cross Overseas, but reportedly nothing in there.