Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Ralph Hakesworth Legard 2 DLI

geofffox

Hi

I’m trying to find out more about the below officer and the circumstances of his death. He was killed at Hooge on the 09/0815, but I can’t find a reference to him in the 2 DLI’s War Diary. There is a photograph of him on the forum already and in John Sheen’s The Steel of the Durham Light Infantry, but again there are no details about his actions on the day or to which company he was attached.

I read a previous post about him on the forum which stated that he came from quite a well known prominent family in the North East. Any biographical information would also be very helpful.

Name: LEGARD, RALPH HAWKESWORTH

Initials: R H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Durham Light Infantry

Unit Text: 4th Bn. attd. 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 09/08/1915

Additional information: Son of John Hawkesworth Legard and Fanny Duncombe Legard.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Addenda Panel 57.

Regards

Geoff

If you want his death certificate:

Name:LEGARD, Ralph H

Unit: Durham Light Infantry

Year: 1915

Volume: O.3

Page: 178

Record source: GRO War Death Army Officers Indices (1914 to 1921)

In 1911 census,

He's a Lodger at the home of William Spencer (an Army Pensioner) at 42 Mersea Road, Colchester, along with two other officers.

He's an Officer in Land Forces aged 35 (b 1876) and born in Scarborough, Yorkshire

Not shown in 1901 - Boer War ?

In 1891 census,

Living with his Father (a Widower) and elder brother (George T, b 1874 Scarborough) at 7, Eastmearn Road, Lambeth, London

Grant

Hi,

Ralph Hawksworth Legard was the son of J.H.Legard Esq., of Durham and was born in 1875. He was educated at Durham School from 1887 to 1889 and at Dulwich College from 1890 to 1892. He played Rugby for Harlequins and Rosslyn Park Clubs.

He was commissioned as 2nd Lieutenant into the 3rd Bn D.L.I. in 1906; he was promoted to Lieutenant 14 May,1907; 4th Bn Captain, March,1914. Went to France with the 2nd Bn Sept.1914, and was killed in action on the enemy's parapet at Hooge, 9th August,1915.

(R.H.L's mother Fanny Duncombe Legard was a daughter of the Rev.Slingsby Duncombe Shafto, who was a member of the Shafto family of Beamish Park.)

I may be able to find a little more information if you require same.

Robert

Incidentally his brother George Shafto Legard also served during WW1 with the DLI and was badly wounded. He died as a result of his wounds in September,1924 at Bow School, co Durham. I believe that he was Headmaster of the school at the time of his death.

Well done Robert ! I noticed GSL in the NA WO339 Officer service records,but nary a mention for RHL,which is a bit puzzling for an Officer of 1915 and loads of previous service.

Sotonmate

Unfortunately many service papers of pre WW1 regular officers were weeded and destroyed in the 1970's, or so I have been led to believe.

Shame on them!!

Hi Grantowi and Old Owl

Many thanks for replying to my post, you’ve provided me with some really helpful information.

Old Owl, the fact that he was killed on the enemy’s parapet is very interesting. In the 2 DLI’s War Diary he is listed as among the dead but isn’t mentioned in the battalion’s order of battle or subsequent report. Is your information from an obituary? I’d be grateful if you could provide me with more information.

Regards

Geoff

Since he was a Rosslyn Park player, user RugbyRemembers will have an interest in him, and may already have researched him. Probably worth dropping him a PM

Hi Geoff,

The fact that he was killed on the enemy's parapet is included in a short biography which appears in the War Record of Old Dunelmians(Durham School). In the book "The Legards of Anlaby and Ganton" (1926) by Sir James Digby Legard, KCB, there appears the following biography:

"Ralph Hawksworth Legard, son of John Hawksworth Legard. Born 29th July,1875. His mother was Frances, daughter of Rev.Slingsby Duncombe Shafto, and widow of Major Coates. He was another great-grandson of Digby Legard of Watton Abbey. At the commencement of hostilities he was called up from the 4th Battalion Durham Light Infantry, in which he held the rank of Lieutenant. Went to France in 1914(Mons Star)and was attached to the 2nd Battalion Durham L.I. Killed in action at Hooge, 9th August,1915. He then held the rank of Captain."

This family is of great antiquity in Yorkshire and held the Manor of Anlaby as early as the 12th century. It is still in the possession of the family as far as I am aware.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Hi

Many thanks for your replies to me post. The information about his pre-war rugby career is very intersting; I've PMd rugbyremebers so hopefully he'll be able to help me out.

Also, Old Owl, do you know if the Legard family had historic links with the Militia in Yorkshire or County Durham?

Regards

Geoff

Very happy to publicly join this strand as Coldm has PM'ed me.

Geoff, this gives me much of the background I asked for, so no need to reply to the PM. It also places his likely playing era in the 1890s, which is highyl underresearched. The project originally - and reasonably logically focussed on m'ship records from 1900-1914, altho some prominent earlier players have emerged, not least Guy du Maurier who played at 16 in 1881 and AF Todd, a British 'Lion' in 1896.

Many thanks for rekindling my fire on this, which has guttered slowly under the damping influence of trying to find a book publisher!

It will take a while, but delighted to dive back into the archives - when I can cajole the archivist.

Stephen

Ralph Hawksworth Legard was the son of J.H.Legard Esq., of Durham and was born in 1875. He was educated at Durham School from 1887 to 1889 and at Dulwich College from 1890 to 1892. He played Rugby for Harlequins and Rosslyn Park Clubs.

I may be able to find a little more information if you require same.

Robert

Robert, am joining strand after alert from Geoff (coldm), ears pointing alertly after mention of Rosslyn Park. I was not aware of this chap so he is that greatest of delights - a chance discovery.

Is source of your post an obituary (it has that tone). If so whence comes it?

best, Stephen

Incidentally his brother George Shafto Legard also served during WW1 with the DLI and was badly wounded. He died as a result of his wounds in September,1924 at Bow School, co Durham. I believe that he was Headmaster of the school at the time of his death.

Robert, and George,

You will find John Malden the archvist at Durham School very helpful. You can find his contacts on the Old Dunelmians website- google away.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I must apologise for not remembering your Rosslyn Park project and also for not connecting R.H.Legard with it!! I have had his medals, memorial plaque and scroll for quite a number of years now and have done quite a lot of research into the Legard family. I also have some medals to another(Lincolnshire) branch of the same family.

There are two small obituaries for R.H.L., one from "The Legards of Anlaby and Ganton" and the other from Durham School. I do have an original portrait of him which I can copy for you, it is the same photo as the one which appears in the Durham School book. I also have a different photo of him from The Sphere--with his hat on and in WW1 uniform. I would be most interested to know if you have a photo of him in one of the team photos.

Perhaps you could let me know if you would like copies of the photos.

Best wishes,

Robert

Robert,

Yes would love the photos info@rugbyremembers.co.uk gets to me.

This is something of a thrill to unearth another name. Makes me wonder how many more there are from the earlier years, which have been neglected. Club had over 700 members pass through from1900-14 so that seemed enough to be getting on with...

But the 'old and bold' of the club in 1914 seem all the more notable - Todd, du Maurier and now Legard.

I think the Secretary's report at the AGM of 72 killed (he actually said 66 dead,6 missing) is now officially inaccurate.

best as ever

Stephen

Robert,

Yes would love the photos info@rugbyremembers.co.uk gets to me.

This is something of a thrill to unearth another name. Makes me wonder how many more there are from the earlier years, which have been neglected. Club had over 700 members pass through from1900-14 so that seemed enough to be getting on with...

But the 'old and bold' of the club in 1914 seem all the more notable - Todd, du Maurier and now Legard.

I think the Secretary's report at the AGM of 72 killed (he actually said 66 dead,6 missing) is now officially inaccurate.

best as ever

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I will copy and send you all the info which I have, but it will be at the weekend before I can do this as I have a couple of busy days ahead.

Regards, Robert

Robert, similarly I will search the 1890s photos for any sign of RHL. He was not sufficiently notable as a player to warrant amention in the club history written in 1929 by Hoyer Miller.

From memory the older team photos are patchy and do not always have names. Will be a few days before I can get to clubhouse to view sadly missing key home game this w/e due to work.

rgds

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

As suspected, no sign of Legard in the team photos of the 1890s - an incomplete collection anyway and they seem only to show the 1st XV ( with one exception).

However, I would guess that he had something to do with later Old Dunelmians like Dingle and Oxland playing for Park, as club connections were often tribal. How else to explain the Uppingham dominance of Park?

best wishes

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

Have now examined the Rosslyn Park record books. Both GS Legard and RH Legard played for the club.

GSL joined in 1895, while at Wadham Oxford, giving 47 Stile Hall Gardens, Chiswick as his address.

RHL joins in the 97/98 season, giving the same address. Played as a forward. He appears to play the midweek 'A'XV games, appearing against Dulwich College, London Hospital, Mill Hill and St Georges Hosp. These games tended to be for those who did not have professional commitments midweek.

All these games were in October and early Nov. Thereafter he does not appear again until the Dec 31st game against Lennox - while a 1st XV fixture, this may have been a weakened side as Park had just toured the West Country over the Xmas period, and having been away for a week I suspect players were looking for a rest on NYE.

The secretary's book is as mystifying as Medal Cards. There are various coded marks - on a number of occasions he seems to have replied as available yet did not play. This may have been intervening injury, non-selection or a no-show. On two occasions, the secretary notes 'write again'.

Certainly confirmed as a Park player, but cannot answer for Quins.

• 3 years later...

Hi

I have recently acquired 1914 trio and Plaque to a Private 11278 F W Millard of the 2nd Bn DLI. I have discovered that he was Batman to Captain RW Leggard ,and , according to newspaper reports ran to his assistance when he fell. My man subsequently died of gunshot wounds consistent with being shot from within a trench in an upwards direction.

Any information re Captain Legard etc would be greatly appreciated regarding this.

Cheers Andy

Hi,

I am afraid to tell you Captain Legard did not go to France with the 2nd battalion in September 1914 - he arrived with a group of officer replacements in October.

regards

John

Hi,

I am afraid to tell you Captain Legard did not go to France with the 2nd battalion in September 1914 - he arrived with a group of officer replacements in October.

regards

John

Hi John,

I am sure that you will be right, however his MIC states: "Disembarkation Date: Roll shows 8/9/14"

Possibly a clerical error?

Robert

Hi,

In the Regimental archives held at County Hall in Durham there are list of officers of each battalion. These record the date of arrival in the battalion and the date and reason for leaving, Legard arrived on 25th October but its not recorded in the war diary.

regards

John

Thanks John.

Strangely his short biography from the Durham School book also states:

"He was gazetted 2nd Lieutenant in the 3rd Battalion of the Durham Light Infantry in 1906, and promoted Captain in March,1914. He served with the 2nd Battalion of his Regiment in France and Flanders from September,1914 to the 9th August,1915, when he was killed on the enemy's paprapet near Hooge."

Regards, Robert

• 7 months later...

I have just received the will of Capt Leggards batman Pte 11278 F Millard, which shows him being in B coy when the will was made in August 1914. Presumably he stayed with that Coy . According to the War Diary they were part of the second wave in the attack.