Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Cemetery - Adanac, St Sever & Theipval

RNCVR

Hi all,

I am interested in obtaining photos of the gravesites of the two Canadians & 1 British officer mentioned in my signature below, should anyone is planning a visit to either of two cemeteries or memorial mentioned.

Thanks much in advance,

Bryan

Bryan,

Adanac and Thiepval will be easy fixes. I will personally be able to do Thiepval in September but you may well get an earlier offer.

St Sever has been the subject of a couple of threads - being quite a long way South West and relatively difficult to find in Rouen itself. The cemetery is also massive and the plot maps are illegible once you get there. That said, you will no doubt get your picture with a bit of perseverance !

I will be able to do ADANAC for you in early August, when I have some spare time again. It is on my doorstep in Courcelette, but I am busy until then.

Thanks very much for yr responses Paul & Ian -

Here are their CWG details -

HILTON WILLIAMSON - ADANAC CEM - II. I. 36.

(426701, Pte, 3rd Bn CEF)

From the others on the page it appears as if the first number refers to a numerical section, ie: II, VII, etc & the second is the letter I, perhaps denoting section I grave 36.

I only have the printout page 65 from the register that he is listed in.

HENRY WILLIAMSON, DCM,MM - St SEVER EXTENSION, Rouen. - Block S, Plot II, Row P, Grave 1. (He was 116711, LCpl, 29th Bn CEF)

CYRIL GEORGE WILLIAMSON - on the THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, Somme. -Pier & Face 9A, 9B & 10B.

Whenever you are able to photo them is certainly OK with me & I do thank both of you much in advance, :rolleyes:

Bryan

Guest March1918

Bryan,

If no firm offer for St Sever I have to go next month. Despite earlier comments I'm determined to crack it one way or another.

PS I will be at the National Archives later next week.

Peter

Thanks Peter thats certainly good of you! :rolleyes:

I'll PM you on the NA visit.

Bryan

Peter,

Re your visit to St Sever. If you get chance, please could i trouble you for a photo of the headstone of Loftas Layfield, from my local village. Details are as follows:

Pte. Loftas Layfield 49256 2nd/5th Bn. West Yorks, died 23/07/1918, age 39

St. SEVER Cemetery Extension Q. iii. B. 8.

Thanks in anticipation.

Chad

• 1 month later...

Finally been up to ADANAC Cemetery today and taken the photo you wanted. See below.

If you email me via the forum with your own email details I will send you the photos.

post-19-1093708614.jpg

Thanks very much for your efforts Paul! :rolleyes:

I appreciate very much you taking the photos of Hilton Williamson's gravesite!

I will e mail you my details,

Bryan

• 2 months later...

For Peter & Ian,

Concerning your visits to St Sever cemetery & the Thiepval memorial, I am wondering if either of you were able to make the visit to these locations & photo the gravesite/memorial?

thanks in advance,

Bryan