Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Henry Shannon

captain caveman

Please help I'm am requesting any information on Pte 59870 Henry Shannon, 9th Field Ambulance RAMC. I know that this soldier went to France at the outbreak of the War and lost his life a week before the end on the 4th November 1918. I would be grateful if anyone can provide information on his service, where he was and also about his unit the 9th Field Ambulance. Many Thanks.

His MIC shows that he was awarded the BWM,VM and 1915 star although there is no date of entry given. This would indicate he possibly didn't go to France until after 23 November 1914 (most who went before that would have the 1914 star).

There are a few experts in the RAMC who may be able to confirm when he went.

CC

If you want to find the date this soldier landed in France it may be on the 1914-15 Star Medal Roll which is at Kew under WO329/2917 page 2196.

9FA was attached to 3 Division from Aug 1914 to Aug 1915,when it was transferred to the Guards Division for the rest of the war.These two pages from the Long Long Trail will show you which battles the unit served in:

http://www.1914-1918.net/3div.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/gdiv.htm

For further details on a daily basis you can get inforamtion from the two War Diaries which covered th unit's work with each Division:

WO95/1407 for 3 Division from Aug 1914 to Aug 1915,and,

WO95/1208 for Guards Division for the remainder of the war.

Neither of these Diaries are yet digital so need to be read at Kew.

This soldier is buried at Villers-Pol Communal Cemetery Extension,between Le Quesnoy and Valenciennes,so that will give you an idea of where he was when he died.

Sotonmate