Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First theatre of war for a chaplain.

Sue S

Hi, I know very little about the war in Salonika and am looking forward to learning more. I am researching Temporary Chaplain to the Forces Reverend Walter Wright Partridge who's MIC shows that his first theatre of war was Salonika on 14th August 1917. Can anyone tell me whether any particular battalion went out on that day. Walter's papers have either not survived or are still held and so I am attempting to learn as much as I can from other sources. Thanks. Sue

I am puzzled by the heading reference to a "vicar". Even if, which is not stated, Walter Partridge held an incumbency as vicar while serving as a temporary chaplain, that would not have been the capacity in which we went to Salonika. He clearly went there as chaplain, and it would avoid confusion if the heading were changed to "First theatre of war for a chaplain".

By 1917, although a few units (such as my Grandfather's AA Section) were still arriving, you were more likely to find troops leaving the Theatre for other Fronts. I would suspect that he went as a replacement for another Chaplain, quite probably because of illness. The rate of sickness was pretty high over there and malaria was a very significant issue. Thousands of men were repatriated because of chronic malaria.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply. We have just come back from a week in Cambridge and saw his slides. We have photographs of him at other times of his life but were really chuffed to have one of him in uniform. Cambridge Archives and the Cambridgeshire Collection are without doubt the best research facilities we have ever visited. From not knowing very much about Walter we now have details of his time with the RFC, of his service in Salonika and much more. I am almost knee-deep in photocopied documents from Cambridge. Brilliant stuff. Thanks again for taking the trouble to post. Regards Sue

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin. I am still wading through all of the documents. Walter wrote to his parishioners via the Parish Magazine and much of what he writes is about day to day life eg what kind of Christmas they had, the problems faced by the men etc. I find his letters fascinating and containing such contrast. On one hand he speaks of the dreadful conditions they face and in the next paragraph writes about how pleased he was to hear that the church jumble sale had gone well! Although he had originally been destined for 'a Brigade of Scotsmen at the Struma Front' Walter actually ended up working at a hospital. If you would like to tell me if you have a particular interest, I would be happy to keep you updated. Regards. Sue