Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Index Card Help

nemesis

Can anyone assist. I have tried all sorts of permutations on Ancestry to find the MIC of S/43388 Cpl G Christie 1st Gordons . He was an MM winner. I have located his MM card . Any help would be well recieved

thanks for reading this

London Gazette MM LinkFor Christe S/43388 :thumbsup: HB

MM LG Header Page

Ancestry do not hold the MM Index Cards The MM is only promulgated as a list of name very very few citations were published however some quasi "Citations" from press reseales can sometimes be found in contemporary Local Press or on occassion in relevant Battalion/Brigade/Divisional War Diaries

could it be filed under something else ? I have tried the usual tricks ,changed the spelling etc with no luck

I find TNA easier to search because the numbers search is usually reliable (haven't been able to achieve that for a long time with Ancestry!). As Ancestry and TNA are in partnership with TNA providing the source records, if it's not at TNA you'd be very lucky to find it on Ancestry, I would have thought.

Good information, I wonder if there was a lot of these cards misplaced or missing?

Can anyone assist. I have tried all sorts of permutations on Ancestry to find the MIC of S/43388 Cpl G Christie 1st Gordons . He was an MM winner. I have located his MM card . Any help would be well recieved

thanks for reading this

Looks like Ancestry has lost another one.

He has a medal if you look at

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline,

enter his Regt, and number, bingo.

Ancestry seems to have mislaid quite a number of cards, or the clowns that scanned

them on the clapped out scanner, missed another.

There are several ways they spell East Lancashire.

E Lan R, E Lon R, Est Lanc, Est Lancashire, East Lancashire, Lan R.

Emailing them makes no difference,

Retlaw.

Looks like Ancestry has lost another one.

He has a medal if you look at

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline,

enter his Regt, and number, bingo.

Ancestry seems to have mislaid quite a number of cards, or the clowns that scanned

them on the clapped out scanner, missed another.

There are several ways they spell East Lancashire.

E Lan R, E Lon R, Est Lanc, Est Lancashire, East Lancashire, Lan R.

Emailing them makes no difference,

Retlaw.

irritating isnt it? have tried upside down , back to front

Trouble is, I think the card at TNA is the same one that nemisis has already found, Retlaw: the reference states:-SeriesWar Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World WarPieceWomen's Services, Distinguished Conduct Medals and Military Medals"

Whereas I'd expect to see the following for a normal MIC:

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Langley P A - McGrath D

Unless you've found one that looks like the latter, I'm not sure if this is one that can be blamed on Ancestry.

Nemisis - there's been discussion here not too long ago (from memory) about the fact that at some point the MICs were earmarked for destruction and staff were permitted to choose ones they'd like, but I have no idea of the accuracy of this.

Looking through George Christie on NA there are only 12, possibly he served with another Battalion & was renumbered or transferred in from another unit the Cyclist may be a possible...?[i tried other "G" forenames and all were No Show {inc most Scottish "type" names...Only George!! and "G" as an initial too!

Gordons George Christie :ph34r:

Thanks Verrico , I recon unless someone pulls a rabbit out the hat its a lost cause

Looking through George Christie on NA there are only 12, possibly he served with another Barttalion & was renumbered or transferred in from another unit the Cyclist may be a possible...?[i tried other "G" forenames and all were No Show {inc most Scottish "type" names...Only George!! and "G" as an initial too!

Gordons George Christie :ph34r:

Thanks for lead, will look these names up

A thought have you actually got the MM card there is a small possibility that the Card also has the War Medals on it too,failing that the Medal roll for the Gordons might show him a long drawn out process but wortha look {S/43388 suggests a Service Bn enlistment...~

}

There was a small proportion of Cards that iirc were so badly damaged or otherwise illegible that they could not be transcribed I hope he wasnt one of those... :angry2:

The MiC do not always include ALL numbers used by a man due to clerical errors by the original compilers}

A thought have you actually got the MM card there is a small possibility that the Card also has the War Medals on it too,failing that the Medal roll for the Gordons might show him a long drawn out process but wortha look {S/43388 suggests a Service Bn enlistment...~

}

There was a small proportion of Cards that iirc were so badly damaged or otherwise illegible that they could not be transcribed I hope he wasnt one of those... :angry2:

The MiC do not always include ALL numbers used by a man due to clerical errors by the original compilers}

Yes Have the MM card but nothing else on it other than details of soldier and award date . His regimental number would indicate that he had not served with the Gordon Highlanders until on or after 1st September 1916. Will keep hunting. Thanks so far for the very good information

There is a Campaign Card for a Sergeant George Christie, No. 43340, and another for a DCM showing DCM (awarded with 1st Gordons - London Gazette 12-3-1919) & MM marked on it.

The campaign card is a Pair card so only shows final/highest rank of Sgt.

Could this be the same man?

Steve.

Hello all

did your man win the D.C.M. also do you know? I have a G. Christie on Ancestry with s/43340 1st Bn Gordon Highlanders he had M.M. and D.C.M. you don't think it could be your man do you? D.C.M. citation is in the capture bellow.

Rich

P.S. - Probably not your men, but it was as close as I have got so far :blink:

There is a Campaign Card for a Sergeant George Christie, No. 43340, and another for a DCM showing DCM (awarded with 1st Gordons - London Gazette 12-3-1919) & MM marked on it.

The campaign card is a Pair card so only shows final/highest rank of Sgt.

Could this be the same man?

Steve.

poop Steve, you just slipped in there before me as I was typing

Rich

post-60087-0-86552200-1314652461.png

DCM Citation for No. 43340:

LG 2-12-1919

S/43340 Sjt. G. Christie, M.M., 1st Bn., Gord. Highrs. (Foveran, Aberdeenshire).

For most conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during operations near Flesquieres on 27th September, 1918. When a company was held up by intense machine gun, fire, he, who was acting as orderly to the commanding officer, volunteered to deal with the gun. Working his way forward under heavy fire, he bombed the gun, putting it out of action. Then, rushing forward, he killed the four gunners. His act was invaluable to the company, and enabled it to advance. His fearless conduct was an example to all ranks.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31668/supplements/14828

And announcement:

LG 12-3-1919

S/43340 Sjt. G. Christie, M.M., 1st Bn., Gord. Highrs. (Foveran, Aberdeenshire).

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31225/supplements/3382

Steve.

P.S. Touche, Rich! :D

Unforunately (for us) the other brave George Christie was awarded the MM as a L/cpl. in the LG of 11-5-1917 virtually proving he was a different man with a similar number :(

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30064/supplements/4598

Steve.

Unforunately (for us) the other brave George Christie was awarded the MM as a L/cpl. in the LG of 11-5-1917 virtually proving he was a different man with a similar number :(

http://www.london-ga...upplements/4598

Steve.

but if he won the M.M in 1917 it could still be him, with a promotion, being awarded the D.C.M. in 1918 could it not?

Rich