Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Small Bronze or Brass Thistle

Rob Bulloch

Hello the forum.

I found this at an Antique Fair on the week end, a small brass or bronze thistle with two lugs on the back. I measures 7/8th by 7/8th, I am wondering if it could be a 9th Div arm badge although somthing tells me the badge was white metal.

Or perhaps it could be a Uni OTC collar badge, I know one of the Canadian Uni's used a thistle as a capbadge but I can't remember which one??

TIA for any help on this. Aye Rob.

post-56-0-25372700-1314634624.jpg

post-56-0-37227000-1314634649.jpg

I bought an identical badge this morning at a local Antique Fair and remembering this thread,I logged on to see what the item had been identified as.

I was obviously disappointed to discover that no one responded to the original question.

Does any one have any thoughts ?

P.B.

PB and Jon.Thank you for your input.. I do not have a photograph of the 14th London Scottish collar badge, but I do have one of the glengarry badge, I would take it that the collar is the same badge only smaller?Any chance could you please post a photograph of the collar badge.

TIA Aye Rob.

Rob, trust me when I say that the picture PB has posted above is of far better quality that that reproduced in the N&M Press copy of Colin Churchill's 'Infantry Collar Badges'. There are 2 or 3 variations of this badge with slight differences in the foliage as well as being produced in brass, bronze and w/m, worn in facing pairs and some officers wore a separate 'T' below.

From what I know the smaller version of the glengarry was bronze and worn by the 2nd Bn on the f/s helmet in Egypt and Palestine during 1917-1918.

cheers, Jon

Bit of confusion here ( perhaps on my part ), Rob posted the picture, I found an identical badge , Jon correctly identified the collar badges as Churchill 1956, a London Scottish collar badge.

P.B.

PB thanks for clearing that up! I re-read the posts and looked for the badge in PB's post I thought I was having a senior moment!

Jon it was the foliage on the badge that made me think it was a different badge, as my badge only had one leaf per side, and the leafs not attached to the ball of the thistle, whilst the badge in the "Bloomers book" shows two leafs per side and they are attached to the ball of the thistle. I have now probably made this thread as clear as mud..

by the way,I do trust you Jon. Implicitly. Regards Aye Rob.