Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lieutenant William D McGookin (15th, RIR)

hen190782

Hi

The PCI Roll of Honour records that William D McGookin (15th, RIR) as 2nd Lieutenant and having received the Distinguished Service Medal, which does not (as far as I am aware) exist.

It could be either the Distinguished Service Order or the Distinguished Conduct Medal. As I have a picture from Belfast Evening Telegraph of McGookin (designated as CSM), I feel that it is the DCM.

Grateful for any advice, information or link to London Gazette citation.

Regards

Nigel

Magookin has a medal card for a DCM - says gazetted 22/1/1916.

There is a citation on Ancestry under UK, Citations of the Distinguished Conduct Medal, 1914-1920.

15/11856 Company Serjeant-Major W. D.

Magookin, 15th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles.

For conspicuous gallantry on 21st November,

1915, near Beaumont Hamel.

Hearing that a wounded man.was lying

out near the enemy's lines he went out with

Second Lieutenant Harpur to his rescue.

After proceeding some 350 yards they found

the wounded man only about 20 yards from

a German listening post, and carried him

back under heavy machine gun and rifle fire

which the enemy opened on them.

Belfast Telegraph - Thursday, 20 April, 1924

MAGOOKIN -- In loving memory of my dear husband, Second Lieutenant W. D. Magookin, D.C.M., Royal Irish Rifles, killed in action at St. Quentin, March 21, 1918. Ever remembered. DOROTHEA MACGOOKIN, 28 Newport Street, Belfast.

ULSTER IN THE WAR

Once again the losses of the division were terribly severe, amounting to more than five thousand officers and men. The number of killed and badly wounded was, however, less heavy than at Thiepval, the majority of the losses being officers and men taken prisoner. Amongst the killed was Lieutenant W. D. Magookin, 12th Rifles, who before obtaining his commission was the first N.C.O. in the division to receive a decoration, having been awarded the D.C.M. in 1915 (when Second-Lieutenant H. M. de la Maziere Harpur of the same battalion won the first M.C. gained by the 36th Division).

Weird ... on Ancestry.co.uk, I can access the MCI document but not the DCM document.

Also, when I search the London Gazette website for 22nd January 1916, I get the message "No documents found, on 22/01/1916"

Any thoughts?

Nigel

IPT

Crossing posts !

Thanks again! Me and London Gazette do not seem to get on! I tried searches for McGookin and Magookin and only got reference to his promotion!

Nigel

• 8 months later...

There is a mural in Rathcoole, Newtownabbey in memory of him and other men of the 15th Battalion.

Phil