Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Donkeyman

Tim Birch

I have a feeling that this has been discussed before, so apologies in advance for repetition, but can anyone explain what a Donkeyman was? I have seen it on CWGC Headstones as an apparent RN rank preceding the man's name.

Tim

Tim

My understanding of the term 'donkey-man' is that he was in charge of the 'donkey-engine. This was a small steam engine that was used to propel the coal into the boilers of the main propulsion engines.

Garth

Hi Tim,

was just writing you a reply & about to send it when my power kicked out - big storm where I am! --- starting again --------

Donkeyman was not a trade, at least not in the RN anyway - they were all Stokers & ERA's - it was a trade in the RNR & the MFA tho, along with some other quaint names like Engineman (which was the equivalent to Stoker), Trimmer & Greaser. A Trimmer trimmed coal in the bunkers - not to be confused with Lamptrimmer - a trade in the RN during Victorian times - it was long obsolete by WWI tho.

I had a medal trio to a Trimmer once.

In addition to what Garth has said, a donkeyman also operated & maintained the small engines on board the trawlers driters etc manned by the RNR & MFA. Some of those very small ships would not have carried enginemen, so the donkeyman would have run the main ship engines also.

Bryan

Thanks Bryan

I am surprised that the headstone described him as Donkeyman, rather than by rank such as Able Seaman? Might he have been a civillian Merchant Marine casualty?

Tim

Tim

You might want to check with Terry Denham but I am under the impression that the Merchant Marine had a different badge, on the headstone, to the RN. That should solve the mystery as to which service he was in.

Garth

Tim,

A Donkeyman was not a seaman. A seaman rating would have worked on upper deck duties dealing with the 'sailing' of the ship & would have virtually nothing to do with the 'propulsion' of the ship - the engines.

I think yr man is either an RNR or a MFA rating, as the rate Donkeyman was not used in the Royal Navy.

Would the CWG entry not tell you what service he was in??

Bryan

Would the CWG entry not tell you what service he was in??

Bryan

Thanks guys

Unfortunately I didn't make a note of his name! It was the description "Donkeyman" which intrigued me. Next time I am over there I shall get more detail ( if I can remember which cemetery - we visited lots that day!) and check the CWGC entry.

Tim

Hi Tim,

You will probably never find it again!! especially after visiting a few of them.

But if you do, keep us posted - kind of interested now,

Bryan

George Luck is commemorated on my home town memorial at Southborough. According the memorial he was Able Seaman Luck of the Royal Navy but CWGC lists him as Donkeyman Luck of the SS Poljames in the Mercantile Marine.

In Boulogne East CWGC there is a headstone "A Donkeyman of the Great War"

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Geordie Lad

I always took a donkeymans job to be in charge of the donkey boiler

donkeyman was a merchant navy rating

ie donkey/greaser

Firemans job was in charge of the main boilers

you could even have Fireman/donkey/greaser

nowadays known as mechanics

regards G. Lad