Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why walnut?

trajan

Probably a stupid question for those who know bayonets better than me, but I have noticed there where the material for wooden grips on bayonets is specified it is usually given as walnut. Why? And can walnut grips be identified by sight alone?

Trajan

Seasoned walnut is hard and strong, and remains serviceable for an indefinite period - plenty of walnut-stocked rifles are over 100 years old.

Bayonet grips were probably also a convenient by-product of the rifle stock making process - a tiny offcut still makes a decent single grip plate.

Its a matter of practice, but it is possible to distinguish most of the common wood types by sight alone.

Seasoned walnut is hard and strong, and remains serviceable for an indefinite period - plenty of walnut-stocked rifles are over 100 years old.

Bayonet grips were probably also a convenient by-product of the rifle stock making process - a tiny offcut still makes a decent single grip plate.

Its a matter of practice, but it is possible to distinguish most of the common wood types by sight alone.

+1 on this - These were my thoughts exactly.

The stocking of Enfields late in WWII (and after) using beech instead of walnut (as a result of shortages of the latter) was a significant departure for British gunmakers.

Chris

I'd suggest it's also more dimensionally stable in varying temperature and humidity conditions than many other woods, allowing for stocking-up and barrel-bedding conditions that would stay more-or-less as they were set.

Regards,

MikB

Thanks! ;) The point made by MikB and thunderbox about walnut being stable for donks helps explain why some of my older bayonets (UK and Turkish) still have good grips on them. Any ideas as to German practice in WW!? One of my 98/05's has only one bit of a grip left: i did think it might be oak...

Trajan

In Hugh Clout's 'After the Ruins' he makes note of French Walnut being removed by the Germans and sent back to Germany for use in rifle stock manufacture.

Jon

Thanks! ;) The point made by MikB and thunderbox about walnut being stable for donks helps explain why some of my older bayonets (UK and Turkish) still have good grips on them. Any ideas as to German practice in WW!? One of my 98/05's has only one bit of a grip left: i did think it might be oak...

Trajan

If it is indeed oak then dimensional stability is a big factor. Both oak and walnut are hard, dense and rot resistant but oak is very "reactive" as wood geeks say. A century of moisture cycling would certainly split it in line with rivet holes etc.

They used walnut because Your Country Need Yew.

It's just been on Dads Army, no kidding...

Boom boom indeed!:D

If it is indeed oak then dimensional stability is a big factor. Both oak and walnut are hard, dense and rot resistant but oak is very "reactive" as wood geeks say. A century of moisture cycling would certainly split it in line with rivet holes etc.

Indeed, that seems to be the case with the 98/05 i have with only the one surviving grip. All that is left of the grip is the part between the two screws, with the beginning of a longitudinal split from one screw aligned directly with the other screw. So, probably/perhaps oak, then.

Trajan

The definition in one of my Wood Books is as follows:-

Walnut, Circassian Juglans regia

Walnut is by far the best wood for gun-stocks, because of its exceptional stability when seasoned. Once a stock has been carved to the users needs, it will never shrink or warp despite years of rough use. The dense nature of walnut also enables it to take the recoil of the shot without distortion.

John