Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Accrington Pals

Manxman3

I hope you might be able to help me. I am trying to locate any information about my Grandfather

Frederick WILLS

dob 25th May 1892

Born Bolton

I have a 1915 dated Webley MK VI which he owned (so I presume he was a captain) and my uncle tells me he fought at the Somme. My Father told me that Fred was in the Accrington Pals but I have not so far found any record of this on the internet. I am 95% certain however that he was in the Pals and I know also that he had shell shock but survived the war. Do you have any information on him or can you suggest where I might find any such information. I appreciate very much any advice you might have. Thankyou.

I can't find any MIC for a Capt F Wills nor any record of a F Wills in the Accrington pals . Do you have any more information about him (no matter how small)

Name:Frederick Wills Regiment or Corps:Loyal North Lancashire Regiment Regimental Number:8232

http://www.pals.org.uk/list_uz.htm not listed in the Accrington Pals. I have a relative KIA in the 11th Battalion East Lancs who is also not listed as an Accrington Pal.

Possible ?? Looked through the MIC

Rycroft

2 very quick replies! Thankyou. I'm afraid I have very little info about Fred other than what I have said and his parents were Frederick T Wills and Margaret. His Dad had a grocers shop in Bolton or was a travelling grocery salesman. He may have gone to Manchester Grammar school but not at all sure about that and the Accrington Pals lead comes from a memory I have of my Dad (who was a Southener) doing his best comic Northern accent when mentioning the Pals. I am 95% certain that I remember my Dad mentioning the Accrington Pals in connection with Fred but I could be wrong or there may be some other misunderstanding, eg Fred may have talked about friends of his in the Pals but not been one himself

However, from what I know it all seems to connect. 1/. 1915 dated pistol 2/. Fought at the Somme 3/. Survived with shell shock 4/. Born and Bred in Bolton (18 miles from Accrington) 5/. Memory of my Dad telling me Fred was in the Pals ( which I assumed at the time was some sort of boys club or home guard type of organisation).

He had no middle name but does appear on a couple of the census and I have a death record for him. I'm quite deperate to find out about him. Shame I waited until my Dad died (2 years ago) to ask more questions but my Dad was a man of few words.

Name:Frederick Wills Regiment or Corps:Loyal North Lancashire Regiment Regimental Number:8232

http://www.pals.org.uk/list_uz.htm not listed in the Accrington Pals. I have a relative KIA in the 11th Battalion East Lancs who is also not listed as an Accrington Pal.

Possible ?? Looked through the MIC

Rycroft

Thanks for the reply. I've already read a couple of times on this forum that that list of the Accrington Pals is far from comprehensive.

He may have served with the Pals without it being shown on his MIC - a MIC only shows service overseas and he may have started off with the Pals and went overseas with another battalion.

How certain are you that he was a captain ?

Is there any service number etched on to his revolver ?

There is a number on the gun but I will have to contact my uncle to find out what it is. From memory it is a serial number. Most of those guns are 1917 issue and they only came out in 1915. I am assuming he was an officer because it was mainly officers who had the Webley pistols and because I think he was quite 'well to do'/ middle class.

Thanks for the reply. I've already read a couple of times on this forum that that list of the Accrington Pals is far from comprehensive.

I guess I should make it more clear on the Accrington Pals website that the list is intended only to be as complete a list as possible of those men who served with the battalion before 1 July 1916. Perhaps when I retire I can attempt a more complete version!

Andrew

I guess I should make it more clear on the Accrington Pals website that the list is intended only to be as complete a list as possible of those men who served with the battalion before 1 July 1916. Perhaps when I retire I can attempt a more complete version!

Andrew

No problem Andrew. Its a great site and a great tribute. I have found out in the last few days that my Grandad wasn't in the Pals, he was infact in the RGA as described by Pam on another thread. Now I've identified for sure which regiment he was in I can relax and I am waiting for my researcher to come back with some more detailed information. Thankyou to everyone on here for you help

• 1 month later...

Andrew

You need to do better than that, from A's to the end of B's.

you have missed the names of 33 original "Accrington Pals",

haven't checked your C's to Y's yet.

From the 14th Sept 1914, to July 1st 1916, 1705 men

had enlisted or been transferred into the "Accrington Pals".

Retlaw.