Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inferno at Delville Wood

Stephen Nulty

"The Long Trail" home page says that on todays date, "1916 - inferno at Delville Wood on Somme as both sides contest this strategic ground ".

I am intrigued by the use of the word "inferno". What actyualy happened there?

SN

Stephen

For a complete answer to this question I suggest you read Ian Uys' book Roll Call: The Battle for Delville Wood. It is one of the books that should be in everybody's collection.

Garth

Thanks, Garth, I'll do that.

SN

The inferno on the 15th was the attack led by the 2nd South African Regiment who were ordered to take the wood 'at all costs'. The attack was preceded by a barrage and they cleared the southern half of the wood.

They then secured much of the rest of the wood but were then counter attacked and were under barrage from the Germans.

The battle went on to and fro to the 21 July. Of the 3151 SA officers & men who went in to the wood on 15th only 780 came out!

Whilst the SA Brigade lost heavily at Delville Wood, (92 officers and 2281 men), it should be recalled that the 9 (Scottish) Division, of which they were a part, lost a total of 314 officers and 7203 men at Delville Wood/Longueval. Phil B

For a basic (ie, not interpreted for its strategic or tactical merits) commentry on the battle for Delville Wood, and indeed the whole 1916 campaign in Picardy, Chris McCarthy's 'Somme; The Day by Day Account' is invaluable. Incidentally; is there any merit in the claim that the SA Brigade was attached to the 9th Division because of the large numbers of ex-pat and second generation Scots in its component units?

There's quite a bit of info about the South African Brigade on the Long, Long Trail: here. It was a little project I began almost a year ago...and still haven't finished...so the "come back soon" comment was, ahem, a little optimistic. I will pick it up after my summer holidays.

Chris

It's the birthday today of your "come back soon" comment :D

Perhaps just update the year !!

SN