The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

7th Black Watch Pipe Band

gnr.ktrha

Hello folks,

Does anyone have any photographs of the 7th {Fifeshire} Battalion Black Watch Pipe Band, or any photo's which my contain the Pipe Major? The man I have been researching was called Alexander Knowles. I from research I know he was Pipe Major from 1908 until at least April 1914 [He does not appear to have served abroad during the war, so may have transferred to the 2nd Line Battalion.]

Failing that, does anyone have experience of the Fife newspapers from this period? I am just wondering if they had many group photo's from this period?

Alexander Knowles was born in Aberdeenshire c1872. By 1901 he was living in Crail with his wife. He was a Stone Mason/Builder. By 1911 they had moved to Anstruther, but had moved to Newburgh by 1913. He has a number of entries in the Scotsman newspaper as he was a keen shot and took part in many of the local compititions.

Thanks for looking,

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

Sorry, I don't have any photos of the band or your man. I'm sure there'll be someone here who may.

However, have you thought about contacting the National Piping Centre in Glasgow? They have a museum there, though I've never personally visited it, so don't know the scope and depth of their archives. Since many of the leading lights in Scottish piping served in Scottish Regiments over the years they may have some info/photos there. It's worth a pop at the very least.

My grandfather was in the 7th and was a keen piper, hence the interest in this thread.

Hope you find your man.

Cheers

Colin (KOF)

Index Cards at Cupar Library. Fife. [on ancestry]

Knowles A.

see Newburgh Pipe Band - group portrait

Fife News Almanac 1930.

Would this be him ? though not of the period you are looking for.

If you are going to ckeck newspapers the Courier or Advertiser from Dundee would I guess be good.

Though there are local Fife papers. Cupar libray is your best bet

Pleas note they are in Cupar Library. The library in Dundee in the Wellgate does not have the Fife edition of the Courier/ Advertiser.

I will be in Cupar in the next week or so let me know if I can be of any help.

Billy

Hello folks and thans for all of your help and advice. I had not thought about the Dundee Library, I was more think of the St. Andrews, Kirkcaldy or Cupar libraries, but have never been to either yey so was unsure of their holdings. I have only used the Dunfermline library.

Billy, thanks for the info from the card index at Cupar Library. The photo shows, I believe, his son Andrew. I contacted the library about the photo some time ago and they were very kind and sent me a scan. I know the Perthshire papers carried many group photo's of the local battalion in there editions in 1914 and early 1915, I am hoping that the Fife ones will be similar. If you do happen to come across him during you time in the library, I would be very greatful to hear.

If I could only find a photo of the band from between 1908 and 1914 he will be easy to spot.

Very many thanks once again,

Stewart