Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Btn Rifle Brigade

yeadon

Am researching Pte Jack George Crane who was kia 1st July 1916. According to family he enlisted August 1914. His battalion number was 6/485. The 2nd Btn RB entered France 6/11/1914 yet Pte Crane entered 19/12/1914. I assume he entered with a draft of reinforcements. I am puzzled by his designated number 6/485. Can anyone advise? Was this a number allocated to the 2nd Btn? Does it suggest he enlisted into another Btn and was then posted to the 2nd Btn? Does the 6 have any special reference to a particular skill? Does it suggest a Reservist being recalled? Is there a more simple explanation which I am missing? Help!

The 6/ prefix would usually suggest he was with the 6th battalion which in this case a training and depot unit. He would have been held here until he was ready to be sent abroad.

6th (Reserve) Battalion

August 1914 : at Winchester. A depot/training unit, it moved on mobilisation to Sheerness, going on in March 1916 to Eastchurch where it remained as part of Thames & Medway Garrison./quote]

http://www.1914-1918.net/rb.htm

6/487 George Martin went abroad as part of the same draft to the 2nd bn. 6/488 also appears to have been in the same draft.