Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transloy Ridges - Rainbow Trench

Guest mr-pawson

Guest mr-pawson

Hello,

My Great Uncle, Willie Lott, died whilst jumping into Rainbow Trench on 7th October 1916. I have a letter sent home from a friend at the front saying he was shot in the head as he jumped in. Research shows Willie Lott as being in the 6th Battalion The Buffs, transferring from the Royal Sussex Regiment. I also have the telegram sent home to his mother bearing the bad news - incidentely delivered on Christmas day 1916!

I have seen forums relating to the Transloy Ridges but would appreciate any information, or where to look, regarding the activities in that area on the afternoon of the 7th October involving Rainbow Trench or perhaps a trench map showing Rainbow Trench itself.

If I can help anyone with the information/photos I have regarding The Buffs let me know.

Thank you.

Matthew

Matthew

Put Gueudecourt in the search facility and you will find plenty of trench maps of Rainbow Trench.

Regards

John

Hi Matthew.

On my Nat. Archives British Trench Map Atlas CD it gives Rainbow trench as an alternative name for Hilt trench. Hilt trench was situated just north of the Village of Gueudecourt. I'm a bit pushed for time at the moment but as soon as I can I will post a Google earth view of the area with a 1916 trench map overlay unless someone beats me to it. Dave.

Hello Mathew,

Attached map containing "Rainbow" trench, alas I can't give you any details of that particular day without looking through various books, no doubt some expert will oblige.

Regards.

Colin.

post-25203-0-04217400-1314126550.jpg

Guest mr-pawson

Thanks so much for your responses, I'll try and scan the letters home and post them here, I also have previous letters sent home from Willie that include his own hand drawn Trench maps. I've been researching WWI history for years now but never thought of joining a forum, I've been missing out!

• 1 month later...

My cousin also was wounded on 7th October 1916 when attacking Rainbow Trench as part of the 12th Battalion Rifle Brigade. I have his medals handed from my father and have been researching his WW1 service. He died on 9th October and is buried at Meault Cemetary. This weekend I heading over to France to visit his grave and also if I can the site of Rainbow Trench. I have various War Diary's etc for 60th Brigade if you are interested I can email copies.

Paul

I've been missing out!

You most certainly have! :thumbsup:

Roger

@Colin: what is the date of your map please.

@Matthew: if you use the search function for "Kurt Thielicke" (my Granduncle who was killed there Oct 1st 1916, see signature) you will find some aerials of the many I own from said location

Paul

My grandfather fought with the 12th RB at Rainbaw Trench, do you have the 12th RB or 60th Brigade war diary for October 1916, if so I would appreciate a copy.

Regards

John

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone..

Have just come across this thread, whilst researching my g grandfathers death in ww1. He was named William hunsley and died on the 8 October 1916, he is also buried at meaulte cemetary.

He's served in the koyli 7th battalion, and I think but am uncertain that he was also in the same location, at rainbow trench.

Can anyone help me find information regarding this or his last last days. Will the diaries be of any help to me....?

Advice would be most welcome....thanks

Jason

Your g/grandfather was part of the 61st Bde, 20th Div which attacked and successfully took Rainbow Trench on the 7th October. The Bde remained in the captured trenches until the night of 8th/9th. If his date of death is shown as 8th Oct then it's likely he was killed while consolidating and defending the ground gained

Regards

Martin

Thanks for the info Martin,,

Would there be a war diary for this somewhere, or any ideas how to find more info on him specifically.

I read some where that cwgc some times hold more info, is this right.

Thanks

Jason.

Your g/grandfather was part of the 61st Bde, 20th Div which attacked and successfully took Rainbow Trench on the 7th October. The Bde remained in the captured trenches until the night of 8th/9th. If his date of death is shown as 8th Oct then it's likely he was killed while consolidating and defending the ground gained.

If he's buried at Méaulte, isn't it more likely that he was wounded on the 7th (or perhaps even earlier) and died the following day at a field hospital/CCS near his place of burial?

Equally so, although I can't imagine the Germans sitting back for a whole day watching a lost piece of ground being strengthened for defence without intervening. He could have been wounded and brought out early on the 8th

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

The War Diary extract for the 7th Oct is at this post if you didnt yet see it http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=182104&p=1960668

In memory of

Oswald Charles Blencowe
At the outbreak of war, Oswald enlisted in a Public Schools Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers, He entered France on the 14 Nov. 1915 , he served as Sergeant in the Royal Fusiliers in France for some months.
Oswald was then commissioned in the Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry 1 May 1916 and lent by them to the 12th Bn Rifle Brigade which had suffered the loss of many officers. He was killed in action on the 7th Oct 1916 at Gueudecourt

• 10 months later...

Hello,

Could someone tell me if this Rainbow Trench was where the 9th Royal fusiliers, was also attacking on 7th October 1916.. on their way to Bayonet Trench

Any help locating where the 9th Royal Fusiliers are. would be a great help

Cheers

John

Edited by johnmelling1979

No seperate location. I believe Rainbow Trench was to the right front however away from my maps right now.

TT

• 1 year later...

Hello Mathew,

Attached map containing "Rainbow" trench, alas I can't give you any details of that particular day without looking through various books, no doubt some expert will oblige.

Regards.

Colin.

Would love to know the provenance of this map!

• 2 years later...

Only just found this site, I had two great uncles, from different sides of my family who also both died on 7th October 1916 in Rainbow Trench, both we’re serving in the 6th Bn The Buffs, and their names have been immortalised on a panel on the Thiepval memorial just 2’ apart, Cpl Arthur Finnis and Pte Sidney East.

1 hour ago, Paul Finnis said:

Only just found this site, I had two great uncles, from different sides of my family who also both died on 7th October 1916 in Rainbow Trench, both we’re serving in the 6th Bn The Buffs, and their names have been immortalised on a panel on the Thiepval memorial just 2’ apart, Cpl Arthur Finnis and Pte Sidney East.

Welcome Paul.

Here is a map with the date about as close as you will find to 7th October, it is dated 3rd October 1916. The business of getting current maps to the front was very tricky so some maps were printed locally like this one.

Full size version here as the forum software squashes images. It is available of the WFA Mapping the Front map DVDs for the Somme.

Howard

Rainbow Trench.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 17/10/2011 at 11:32, pteverett001 said:

My cousin also was wounded on 7th October 1916 when attacking Rainbow Trench as part of the 12th Battalion Rifle Brigade. I have his medals handed from my father and have been researching his WW1 service. He died on 9th October and is buried at Meault Cemetary. This weekend I heading over to France to visit his grave and also if I can the site of Rainbow Trench. I have various War Diary's etc for 60th Brigade if you are interested I can email copies.

Paul

HiPaul

My gt uncle was killed on 9th October 1916 fighting at Rainbow Trench. He was part ofthe 20thBtn Liverpool Kings regiment and I am traveling to the Somme in a few weeks. I would be grateful of any information you can provide me prior to my departure. Espcially the location of Rainbow trench and its occupants. Thanks John

Its always been a mystery to me where it is but this might help.  

Le Transloy.jpg