Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Somme Battlefield website

sunflower

Hi folks

Not sure if this has already had a posting but the Somme Tourism Department has a new website on the battlefields.

http://www.somme-battlefields.com/en/index.aspx

It looks like an excellent site and I am sure will be very helpful for first timers and a few old timers making a visit

sunflower ;)

I agree, a very nice site and I'm sure it's got lots of good info ... but it takes an ETERNITY to load on a non-broadband system!

Thanks for the link, I will be back to it.

Des

Nice site but a tad quirky particularly the sub-menu system.

I don't think that non-broadband is the issue. I have broadband and the site did freeze on me more than once. Server problem?

I am sure accommodation guide is not complete.

Otherwise, very nice looking and a good place to start.

I think they have are having a few teething problems and the accommodation guide is not yet complete but it is as you say a very nice looking site, full of info and a great way to start.

sunflower

On reflection, I do think that this site reflects the 'French' version of the Somme.

Look at the accommodation addresses!

• 4 months later...

Various links have been updated now chaps :)

Ryan

• Admin
On reflection, I do think that this site reflects the 'French' version of the Somme.

Look at the accommodation addresses!

Personally speaking, when I visit France I'd rather stay in an establishment run by a French person. Hence the fact that I always book Gites to stay in.

As I am very allergic to cats, I can chose a place that doesn't allow animals, and know that I'll be OK, but the last time I stayed at one of the places run by an Engllish person, I ended up spending the night in the car owing to all the cats! :(

But each to his own as they say!