Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

George Millington

pinevista

George Millington was one of the main characters in the journal and I know that my grandfather wrote to the war department prior to one of the trips back to England trying to find out how to get into contact with George. I do not know if he succeeded or not. I have believe that George had remained in the service and to receive his pension he accepted a reduction in rank from his field commission of Lieutenant to Sargent Major.

There is a MIC for a George Millington ( Cpl 33236 , 2nd Lt and then Lt ) of 43 RFA. Went overseas on 10 Aug 1914.

Yes and Yes. George Bramwell, whose real name turned out to be Percy Bramwell, was also a one of his good friends and was one of the three chums I've been trying to track down and with everyone's help have done so. George Millington, I assume, is mentioned throughout the greater part of the journal after George/Percy's death. Or, now that you brought it up, it is very confusing to which George he is referring to since he doesn't include the last name except when he writes about the death of George Bramwell, and includes his last name. I'm beginning to realize that trying to understand what actually took place and was written 100 years ago gets very murky at times. So many unknowns could have been clarified if my father or uncle would have known the journal existed during my grandfather's lifetime and reviewed it with him. However, I suppose that's what makes history so intriguing by trying to solve the mysteries left by others.

That must be the George Millington he was trying to locate. I wonder if they every became reunited? It would have been wonderful sit in on their conversation and listen to them relive some of their experiences together.

There is a MIC for a George Millington ( Cpl 33236 , 2nd Lt and then Lt ) of 43 RFA. Went overseas on 10 Aug 1914.