Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tracing Relatives

Sue Light

A television company would like to trace the descendents of anyone nursed by, or who knew or worked alongside, Sister Edith Appleton, a nurse working in various locations in France throughout the First World War. An index detailing names is below. If you recognise anybody, please get in touch and your details will be forwarded for a potential television project. Although referred to only by surname in the diary, it has been possible to fully identify most of those named below, and more names will be added soon. A full list of all those mentioned in the diary, though not necessarily identified/identifiable can be found here:

Edith Appleton - full list of names

and another list with links to CWGC, and full contact details, can be found on my website here:

Nurse's Diary - Help required

NURSES

ATKINSON, Miss, also known as 'Atky,' a VAD from New Zealand, b. 1860

BALDRY, possibly Ellen Baldry, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve

BARCLAY SMITH, Jeanie McPherson, nursing sister Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service, died 28/04/1916

BLAKELEY, Maud Mary b. 06/03/1874, Ireland; Principal Matron Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service

CLEMENTS, Mary, b. 27/01/1875, Matron, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service

CONGLETON, Jessie Hume, b. 12/11/1872 in Dundee; Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service

DENNE, Ethel Mary, b. 03/12/1872 in London; Matron, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service

GASCOIGNE, Elsie Vera Orby

WATTS, Madeline Hamilton, or Madeline HAMILTON-WATTS, Sister, Territorial Force Nursing Service

HANSARD, Ethel Maud, nursing sister, trained St. Bartholomew's Hospital

HARTIGAN, Helena, b. 08/04/1878 in Ireland; Matron, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service

HINDLE, Hilda

KABERRY, Mabel Lydia, b.15/05/1877, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service

LATHAM, Kathleen Mary, b. 1881, Richmond, Surrey; Nursing Sister, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve

McCARTHY, Miss/later Dame Emma Maud, Matron-in-Chief, France and Flanders

MAXEY, Kate (nursing sister), born 1877, Spennymoor, Co. Durham, Nursing Sister, Territorial Force Nursing Service

RENTZSCH, Ethel Maude, b. 5 April 1870, in London; Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service

SCHREINER, Believed to be either Ursula Hester Schreiner or Frances Lydall Schreiner, both South African VADs.

STEEN, Lavinia Elisa Caroline, b. 20/01/1869 St. Petersburg; Matron, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service

TRUSLOVE, Annie Elizabeth, b. Circa 1875 in Warwickshire

TUNLEY, Mabel Mary, b. 10/07/1870; Matron, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service

WAITE, Margaret Bowman; just surname given, and believed to be this woman, but not able to confirm in the absence of a service file.

WELFORD, Millie, VAD

WILTON SMITH, Gertrude Mary, b. 14/04/1872; Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service

SOLDIERS/PATIENTS

BARBER, Albert Edward, M.M., L/Cpl 9189, Essex Regiment

BELL-IRVING, Captain Malcolm McBean

BERREL, John, Private 2827, Seaforth Highlanders

BLOGG, Edward Basil, Major, Royal Engineers

CHITTY, Henry Leonard, Serjeant 12/3583, Auckland Regiment

COOPER, T., Private 1633, Yorkshire Regiment

HENDRY, Mr., a wounded officer with family living in Paris

HAMMOND, Paul, Captain, East Lancashire Regiment

KERR, Charles, Private 8209, Manchester Regiment

LENNOX, James, Rifleman 1925, Royal Irish Rifles

LIMBRICK, George Thomas Alfred, Private 1265, Australian Infantry

MADDOX, Sam, a patient

MIDDLETON, F. G., Serjeant 639, Lancashire Fusiliers

PARTLIN, J. E., Serjeant 15967, border Regiment

PIERCE, a New Zealand Sergeant-Major and patient

ROGERS, a patient from Sandwich

RUDMAN, a patient

SAWDON, George Herbert, Sapper 59612, Royal Engineers

THACKERAY, Edward Rennell, Colonel, Royal Field Artillery

VERNON LEE, Mr., patient, formerly musician and composer

WANSTALL, Ernest

Sue

Would it be ok if I repeat this on the Manchesters Regt forum.

That would be great Roy, thanks very much. I know that one of them, Charles Kerr, has come up on one of the Manchester forum threads before, his CWGC page is here:

Charles Kerr

Sue

Thank you - I shall delve into the second link a bit more. The first one worries me, as I hadn't anticipated tracing relatives of Jane Austen :rolleyes:

Sue

I've found a single solitary playlist mentioning the patient Vernon Lee, musician/composer http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b00qprjx - don't think he's to be confused with the Vernon Lee, author, nom de plume of a lady called Violet Paget...

The BBC listing suggests to me that a search in a jazz encyclopaedia might lead to more information.

Sue

Captain Malcolm McBean Bell-Irving DSO MC, was a Canadian serving with the RFC. His medals are in the Canadian War Museum. Vancouver Archives mentions him and his sister in this document in the early 1950's.

http://vancouver.ca/...ermitIsland.pdf

Perhaps a letter to a Vancouver newspaper like the Vancouver Sun might bring some information as well. Possible family tree here:

http://www.bell-irving.com/B-I_History.asp

TR

With many scores of names in the diary I think that a pragmatic approach will have to be taken in respect of trying to actively tracing people.. Many people get just the briefest of mentions, and not really in reference to being either patient or staff of the medical units. I have a feeling that no-one will be trying to grab a relative of Kitchener or Haig! My part is just to attempt to put a full name to some of the bare surnames in the diary, mainly for the nursing staff and long-term patients, which might reach some present-day relatives interested in their family history, or members of family history societies who are scouring the web for leads. I'm sure that if active tracing is undertaken (an extremely hard task) it will have to be concentrated on the nurses who were best friends of Edith Appleton, e.g. Constable, Congleton, Maxey and Thomas, etc., or the soldiers who seem to have starring roles, such as Lennox and Kerr. I don't think that aspect will involve me at all, thank goodness!

Sue

Lennox appeal has gone out on Ballymena Times facebook site .. I know there are still Lennox(es) in the area so I'm hoping that FB will throw up some connections.

McCARTHY, Miss/later Dame Emma Maud, Matron-in-Chief, France and Flanders

http://adb.anu.edu.a...-emma-maud-7306

I have the feeling that someone on the GWF had contact with Perditta McCarthy in the not too distant past....

Yes, I started a thread about Perditta McCarthy about three years ago, but it transpired that even then she was in residential care and extremely physically and mentally frail.

Sue

Lennox appeal has gone out on Ballymena Times facebook site .. I know there are still Lennox(es) in the area so I'm hoping that FB will throw up some connections.

Thanks Des, I'll keep an eye on it - is there any possibility that you could get out there with a loud hailer and some handcuffs :w00t:

Sue

I've added some more confirmed names of nurses mentioned in Edith Appleton's diary here:

Edith Appleton's Diary - names updated

One of them, Annie Denton also served in the Boer War, and was listed as dangerously ill in Mafeking in 1901. She eventually died very near me in 1957, so managed to hang on until she was 89 years of age!

Sue

• 6 months later...

Hi Sue

Thomas Cooper 1633 5th Bn Yorks

Thomas is included on a family tree on Ancestry

Born 1895 died of wounds aged 20

Son of George Robert Cooper and May Rebecca Cooper (nee Collinson)

There appears to be surviving family members

It may be worth sending the tree owner a message if you are a subscriber to Anc***

Regards Ray

edit should read Mary Rebecca Cooper typo error