Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry

MichaelBully

Greetings, anyone studied the Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry action in the Salonika campaign?

I have posed on a previous thread about one Gilbert Leslie Sowter, buried at Hove Old Cemetery :

post 9

I have not been able to find any tributes or obituaries to George Sowter going through local papers as yet, but found an interesting news article in Sussex Daily News of 29th May 1922 about Gilbert Sowter, starts

"The funeral took place at Hove Cemetery on Friday of Mr. Gilbert Leslie Sowter of 27 Blatchington Road, Hove who died on 23rd May, after many months a sufferer of tuberculosis contracted during 4 years war service with the British Red Cross and the Oxford and Bucks Light infantry, two and a half years of which he spent in Salonica. He was only 24 years of age. "

Am I right in thinking that it was 7th and 8th Battalions of the Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry who were serving at Salonika ?

Regards, Michael Bully

and the 8th battaion, as pioneers in 26th Div, which also included 7th OBLI.

• 2 weeks later...

His service record is at:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1219&iid=30600_193705-00652&fn=Gilbert+Leslie&ln=Sowter&st=r&ssrc=&pid=1847609

Enlisted at Brighton 5/10/15 in the RAMC as Pte. Aged 19 and an undertaker by trade.

To Salonika 20/10/16.

Four days CB 17/10/17 for failing to return clothing to the QM stores.

Ten days CB 21/1/18 for failing to obey the order of an NCO.

To UK 30/11/18.

Went AWOL for 24 hours on 8/1/19.

Discharged from 8th Bn OBLI 19/4/19.

Pension Issue Office reported death as due to TB in both lungs and haemorrages on 22/5/19

BW&V medal issueed in 1922 in respect of Pte. 45232 OBLI.

No reference as to when he transferred from the RAMC to OBLI.

MiC at

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1262&iid=30850_A001463-00335&fn=Gilbert+L&ln=Sowter&sthimssrc=&pid=5112122

Shows hin as Pte. 102584 RAMC, Pte. 63313 Northumberland Fusiliers and Pte. 45232 OBLI.

John

Thanks for all the information John, very much appreciated. I don't use Ancestry so this is all new to me. I have Gilbert Sowter's death as 22nd May 1922, not 23rd May 1922 as reported in the Sussex Daily News. Have checked the gravestone again Now will try to see what his service activity was likely to be in the Salonika campaign. Regards, Michael Bully

Reviewing this thread and reflecting on the information, whihc appears to link the cause of death to illness contracted while serving, I wonder whether there is sufficient here, coupled with a death certificate if you ordered one, to make a case to the CWGC for Sowter being a non-commemoration, assuming he is within the date parameters, which I can't for the moment remember.

John

Hello John, I always thought that CWGC Great War commemoration stops at 31st December 1921. I will check. Would be pleased if Gilbert Sowter's war service could be honoured. Regards, Michael Bully

Reviewing this thread and reflecting on the information, whihc appears to link the cause of death to illness contracted while serving, I wonder whether there is sufficient here, coupled with a death certificate if you ordered one, to make a case to the CWGC for Sowter being a non-commemoration, assuming he is within the date parameters, which I can't for the moment remember.

John

Hi John, GWF pal Chris Harley has confirmed that CWGC Great War commemoration stops at the 31st August 1921 . So GIlbert Sowter would unfortunately be outside of this date. But I would still like to find out what I can about his life and death for my own research which I want to share locally . Regards Michael Bully

John

• 4 weeks later...

Enlisted at Brighton 5/10/15 in the RAMC as Pte. Aged 19 and an undertaker by trade.

To Salonika 20/10/16.

Four days CB 17/10/17 for failing to return clothing to the QM stores. Whilst with RAMC

Ten days CB 21/1/18 for failing to obey the order of an NCO. Whilst With RAMC

To UK 30/11/18.

Went AWOL for 24 hours on 8/1/19.

Discharged from 8th Bn OBLI 19/4/19.

Pension Issue Office reported death as due to TB in both lungs and haemorrages on 22/5/19

BW&V medal issueed in 1922 in respect of Pte. 45232 OBLI.

No reference as to when he transferred from the RAMC to OBLI.

MiC at

http://search.ancest...rc=&pid=5112122

Shows hin as Pte. 102584 RAMC, Pte. 63313 Northumberland Fusiliers and Pte. 45232 OBLI.

Dates in his record give:

Home 5.10.15 - 19.10.16

Salonika 20.10.16 - 29.11.18

Home 30.11.18 - 19.4.19

And we know from the above that he served with (in order) RAMC, Northumberland Fus. & OBLI

I suspect all his Salonika service was with the RAMC.

Thanks for the information Martin. Excellent. I couldn't open the link to Ancestry. Pardon my ignorance but was CB ? Also I have Gilbert Sowter's death as 22/5/1922 . Regards, Michael Bully

Cheers Kate, I was giving myself a headache trying to work it out! Now seems so obvious.

CB = confined to barracks

• 2 months later...

I have just discovered one of my g grandfather's brothers had joined the R.A.M.C. (presumably in Liverpool where he was born) was also transferred to the 4th Ox & Bucks. From his service record online it appears he contacted malaria whilst serving in Italy.

Was it usual for members of the R.A.M.C. to be transferred to the Ox & Bucks?

Jean

Jean

You might get more information on this query if you start a specific thead in the Soldiers forum, giving name and service number. Pals are more likley to be able to help in terms of whether the individual transferred as part of a block of RAMC men et. with that.

John

I recommend you contact the OBLI researchers via the SOFO (Soldiers of Oxfordshire) website at: http://www.sofo.org.uk/

I did a quick search for the name and number and found nothing, but direct contact may turn up something from their database.

• 2 months later...

This chap looks like a candidate for IFTC - I can't find him at CWGC and his TB was almost certainly contracted while serving.

Yes possible IFTC but we would need to know the date that Jean's great uncle died. Regards,

This chap looks like a candidate for IFTC - I can't find him at CWGC and his TB was almost certainly contracted while serving.