Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Horace Reginald Haslett (RIR)

hen190782

Hi

This guy on my research list is recorded as receiving the "Croix-de-Chevalier" but my knowledge of gallantry awards is sketchy and I cannot find a reference to this award.

My gut feeling is that it is one of the grades in the Legion d'Honneur.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Regards

Nigel

My LG searching skills are inadequate, anything about Captain Frederick Ramsay Walker (Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders) recorded as Legion d'Honneur?

Regards

Nigel

I have a data base I have been working on for approx 10 years,that has over 37.000 names that are gazetted for foreign awards for the WW1 period. I do not claim that it is 100% but must be very close.

I have checked & I do not have Captain Frederick Ramsay Walker listed.

As I tell every one, there were cases especially with the French & Serbs, where medals were given to Commonwealth service men & women, & no permission was given by the commonwealth for them to be accepted( I have a few in my collection). These were not gazetted but are usually mentioned in unit War Diaries as awarded. I have a 14 star trio with Russian medal to a Red Cross nurse that is not gazetted but authority was given in the British Nursing Journal that she was awarded the medal.

So you have to do a lot of research to prove or disprove the award.

If you do prove the award could I ask that you let me know the details so I can add them to my data base.

Peter

I have done an MIC check & he was CSM 5849 of 2nd Bn & was awarded a French Medaille Militaire under Army Order No 466 of 1914. These were not Gazetted but authorised under Army Orders. maybe that is where you are getting confused.

Peter

Peter

Apologies for the delay in replying, I have been in County Kerry for the last week and have not had internet access.

Thanks for the info., I am going on the details recorded in the Presbyterian Church In Ireland's Roll of Honour, which is not always 100% accurate.

There are several men on my list who are recorded as recipients of Gallantry Awards from other nations - if I provide the details, would you be prepared to run a cross-check against your database?

If so, please send me a PM with your email address and I will email the list to you.

Thanks

Nigel

Peter

Thanks ... here is picture of Walker from the Belfast Evening Telegraph, in which the caption states Legion d'Honneur.

post-43948-0-66005300-1314525190.jpg

I do not know the source of the information printed by BET, but I suspect that the info comes from family rather than an official source. I think that I will play safe and record Medaille Militaire.

Regards

Nigel

• 1 year later...

Major Horace Reginald Haslett Pow 27 May 1918 attached to East Yorkshire formerly from Royal Irish Rifles. OBE 1953.

Does anyone have a photograph?

David

• 7 months later...

I have since found out the following information:

He was the son of Sir James Horner Haslett and played rugby for Ireland.

Still trying to find an elusive portrait.

David