Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Douglas Walter Belcher VC

trevor.weekes

Lance-sergeant "Douglas Walter Belcher"

1/5th (City of London) Battalion London Regiment (The london Rifle Brigade) was awarded the VC on the 13th May 1915 whilst holding with very few men his position south of the Wieltje-St. Julien Road Belgium. My relative Reginald Skinner Weeks a private at the time was wounded whilst in the trenches with Sgt Belcher on the day he won the VC. Does anyone have a copy of the page from the war diary that relates to this action.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Rovert

Hi Rovert

I have a fair bit of info about the action on 13th May 1915; personal diaries; LRB accounts etc; not sure i have the war diary but events are well covered in the Regimental history available from naval & Military Press. I have being researching the men of the original 1st battalion and have a profile of all 30 officers and 851 other ranks; with photos of about a quarter of them RSW was a pre war LRB man and below is his entry in my nominal roll. Two MMs were also won by Belchers party.

Weeks Reginald Skinner

9624 Rfn. F/F 4.11.14 - 29.05.15 Wounded 2nd Ypres, May 13, No. 2 Coy.; in Belcher’s party; Commissioned 4/10 Middx R. 1.9.15; KIA 9.10.16 attached Rifle Brigade; 2/Lieut.; Commemorated Lonsdale Cem. Aveluy and Authville; ( enlisted 9.10.13; ‘O’ Coy.; lived West Dulwich; ; emp : Lloyds Bank )

chris

Belcher's entry

Belcher Douglas W V.C.

9539 L/Sgt Awarded Victoria Cross 13.5.15 with 1/5 London R. 2nd Ypres Battle of Frezenburg Ridge; Commissioned 2/9 London R. 10.2.16; later Indian Army; ( enlisted 3.4.13; ‘O’ Coy.; lived Surbiton;Surrey ; emp : Furniture salesman; Brighton Marcher 13 April 1914 ; rejoined LRB post war1922; present at the unveiling of the LRB Memorial, London Rifle Brigade Cemetery, Ploegsteert 1927 ; embodied in 1939; 1940 Sgt. LRB Coy. N.D.C. ; died 1953 )

Victoria Cross; 13.5.15 Frezenberg Ridge, Wieltje; citation reads;

“On the early morning of 13 May 1915, when in charge of a portion of an advanced breastwork south of the Wieltje - St.Julien Road, during a very fierce and continuous bombardment by the enemy, which frequently blew in the breastwork, L-Sergeant Belcher, with a mere handful of men, elected to remain and endeavour to hold his position after the troops near him had been withdrawn. By his skill and great gallantry he maintained his position during the day , opening rapid fire on the enemy, who were only 150 to 200 yards distant , whenever he saw them collecting for an attack. There is little doubt that the bold front shown by L-Sergeant Belcher prevented the enemy breaking through on the Wieltje Road, and averted an attack on the flank of one of our divisions.”

Hi Chris

Thank you for the reply's.

I have just received fron TNA the service record for Reginald Skinner Weeks, this is how I discovered his connection with the VC action. It was used by his commanding officer when recomending him to the rank of 2nd Lieutenant. Reginald Skinner Weekes was wounded G.S.W. face and back and spent 95 days home recovering before returning to France with the 4/10th Middlesex Regiment who provided reserves for the other Battalions/Regiments. Reginald Skinner Weeks was posted to the 1st/1st battalion, Hertfordshire Regiment 17th August 1916 and moved with the Regiment to the Somme 24th August 1916. On 19th September 1916 the Battalion relieved the16th Rifle Brigade. On the 5th October 1916 they went into trenches River Ancre Left & Centre Sub Sectors (very close to Thiepval). Reginald Skinner Weeks being killed 9th October.

My profile photograph is of Reginald Skinner Weeks and if you want I will be pleased to send you via email a better copy. I have also recently visited his grave and have photographs of that.