Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A French Lebel rifle and a Berthier carbine

rayg

Gun show buys. Both are still in untouched original condition never rearsenaled. both have all completely matching numbers except for the original " clearing" not cleaning rod, on the carbine . A US veteran had carved U.S.N on one side and there is a skull and cross bones carved on the other side either via the vet or by the original owner who carried it. Lot of these little carbines were issued to Colonial troops. I paid $150 for the carbine and $200 for the Lebel. Bought them from two different sellers and hour apart, According to the serial numbers, the carbine was manufactored in1887 and the Lebel in 1889.

Apparently the Lebel was a German capture as the bayonet lug had been ground off so a bayonet adapter for the German bayonet could slide over the barrel. See the photo of what one looked like. Apparently why the Lebel was never arsenal refurbed liike most were through the years. Ray

Having trouble posting the photo of the adapter. States pic too big. Will try to reduce the size.

post-59711-0-52621800-1313720877.jpgpost-59711-0-33774300-1313720917.jpg

Nice pick -ups.

I like the early carbines.

I assume from what you say neither of the rifles have a N on the chamber? What are the bores like?

I have been looking for a decent Berthier rifle in the 3 shot configuration for a while now...getting harder to find at reasonable prices it seems.

Chris

Well here it is, the adapter

post-59711-0-84581000-1313722490.jpg

That's interesting. Would have made a good puzzler in the bayonet thread currently running.

Chris

Nice pick -ups.

I like the early carbines.

I assume from what you say neither of the rifles have a N on the chamber? What are the bores like?

I have been looking for a decent Berthier rifle in the 3 shot configuration for a while now...getting harder to find at reasonable prices it seems.

Chris

No upgrades and no "N" Chris, Both the bores are excellent. I had picked up a Berthier rifle a few months ago. It had the night sights and also an excellent bore. Paid only $40 for that. Seems like I've been having luck finding these French rifles for good prices. I posted the Berthierrifle earlier on this forum when I got it, Ray

No upgrades and no "N" Chris, Both the bores are excellent. I had picked up a Berthier rifle a few months ago. It had the night sights and also an excellent bore. Paid only $40 for that. Seems like I've been having luck finding these French rifles for good prices. I posted the Berthierrifle earlier on this forum when I got it, Ray

Yes I remember it...very nice that one.

Are you sure on the 1887 date of the carbine? Seems really early. I thought they were not introduced until 1890 (gendamerie carbine) and 1892 for the "musketoon: (and then later in 1902 and 1907 for the senegalese model and long rifle) I am happy to be corrected as this is out of my main area by some good way!

Chris