Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

which one is mine or are they both ..?

TheDukes

Hi My first post on the site. Quite frankly I've been fascinated by the site and read so many posts and have been amazed by the breadth of knowledge and information, some of you guys are amazing.

Anyway, Following a family legend, my great grand uncle on my Mothers side was killed in the first days of the War, deductions knowing the general area my family originated from and an old photo of a soldier, in my great grandmothers things, I found the cap badge as the Duke of Wellingtons reg.

So easy I thought go on the CWGC site and find a GREENWOOD, who was in the DUKES who was KIA in 1914 and who came from the Hebden Bridge area,

But I've found 2 with nearly identical information. I don't his first name and both names have historical context with my family so no clues there. All I know is that his sister my great grandmother was called Elizabeth or Isabel/Isobel.

Any help on the following two gentlemen would be greatly appreciated.

Name:GREENWOOD, THOMASInitials:TNationality:United KingdomRank:PrivateRegiment/Service:Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)Unit Text:2nd Bn.Age:31Date of Death:24/08/1914Service No:6513Additional information:Son of H. D. and K. Greenwood, of Midgley, Yorks; husband of Annie Greenwood, of Luddenden, Yorks. Served in the South African War and in India.

Name:GREENWOOD, JOHN WILLIAMInitials:J WNationality:United KingdomRank:PrivateRegiment/Service:Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)Unit Text:2nd Bn.Age:30Date of Death:24/08/1914Service No:8072Additional information:Son of Tom G. Greenwood, of 15, East Parade, Mytholmroyd, Yorks, and the late Jane Greenwood.

Hi My first post on the site. Quite frankly I've been fascinated by the site and read so many posts and have been amazed by the breadth of knowledge and information, some of you guys are amazing.

Anyway, Following a family legend, my great grand uncle on my Mothers side was killed in the first days of the War, deductions knowing the general area my family originated from and an old photo of a soldier, in my great grandmothers things, I found the cap badge as the Duke of Wellingtons reg.

So easy I thought go on the CWGC site and find a GREENWOOD, who was in the DUKES who was KIA in 1914 and who came from the Hebden Bridge area,

But I've found 2 with nearly identical information. I don't his first name and both names have historical context with my family so no clues there. All I know is that his sister my great grandmother was called Elizabeth or Isabel/Isobel.

Any help on the following two gentlemen would be greatly appreciated.

Name:GREENWOOD, THOMASInitials:TNationality:United KingdomRank:PrivateRegiment/Service:Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)Unit Text:2nd Bn.Age:31Date of Death:24/08/1914Service No:6513Additional information:Son of H. D. and K. Greenwood, of Midgley, Yorks; husband of Annie Greenwood, of Luddenden, Yorks. Served in the South African War and in India.

Name:GREENWOOD, JOHN WILLIAMInitials:J WNationality:United KingdomRank:PrivateRegiment/Service:Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)Unit Text:2nd Bn.Age:30Date of Death:24/08/1914Service No:8072Additional information:Son of Tom G. Greenwood, of 15, East Parade, Mytholmroyd, Yorks, and the late Jane Greenwood.

Hi Dukes,

I have done some research into 6513 Pte Thomas Greenwood myself and have a copy of a photo of him and details from one of the Halifax newspapers. If you are able to post a copy of the photo which you have on here, then I could possibly confirm if your photo is the same man.

Best wishes, Robert

Name: Thomas Greenwood

Birth Place: Luddendenfoot, Yorks

Residence: Luddendenfoot

Death Date: 24 Aug 1914

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Halifax

Regiment: Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)

Battalion: 2nd Battalion

Number: 6513

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Name: John William Greenwood

Birth Place: Mytholmroyd, Yorks

Residence: Mytholmroyd

Number: 8072

1901 census

Thomas G Greenwood 46

Jane Greenwood 44

Fanny Greenwood 20

John W Greenwood 16

Mary A Greenwood 14

Emily Greenwood 12

James Greenwood 6

Harold Greenwood 1

It would guess John William is your man as Mytholmroyd is next to Hebdon Bridge.

Thomas was actually born in 1882, and enlisted in 1900, aged 18. He had been a tailor before that. He married Annie in Dublin in 1902, and children were Marion, Dinah(?) and George.

Many, many pages of service pages on Ancestry, including his wife sending a photo of some prisoners of war to the army stating that he is amongst them, and the army saying that he mustn't be the man reported dead on 24/8/1914. He was though.

http://search.ancest...Service&indiv=1

EDIT: John William's service papers are there also;

http://search.ancest...src=&pid=779162

Father Thomas, brother James as per the above census.

Service record on Ancestry

Enlisted 1904

father = Tom Green Greenwood

mother = Jane Robinson

3 sisters on 1891 census

Service record on Ancestry

Enlisted OCtober 1900, a tailor.Re-enlisted 1912.

Married 2nd April 1902 in Dublin.

Children Marrion, Dinah and George

Father = Harvey Driven(?) mother = Kezia(?)

Brother = Frank

2 sisters on service record

wife = Annie Smith

reservist recalled to the Colours at the outbreak of war

both men were recorded as missing and then later flagged as killed. Letters from family members in both chaps records; Imperial War Graves Commission correspondence in Thomas Greenwoods file.

Number: 6513

Number: 8072

1901 census

Thomas G Greenwood 46

Jane Greenwood 44

Fanny Greenwood 20

John W Greenwood 16

Mary A Greenwood 14

Emily Greenwood 12

James Greenwood 6

Harold Greenwood 1

It would guess John William is your man as Mytholmroyd is next to Hebdon Bridge.

I would tend to disagree here, for the reason that there is no Elizabeth or Isobel in the family you quote. However if you go to the 1891 census for Thomas Greenwood, this is the family:

Harry Driver Greenwood 28

Keyia Greenwood 30

Thomas ditto 8

Elizabeth Ann ditto 6

John Willie ditto 3

Edith ditto 10 months

Midgley, where the family were living at this time is up above Mytholmroyd and not more than 3 miles from Hebden Bridge. So I would think that this is the more likely family??

Robert

Hi Dukes,

I have done some research into 6513 Pte Thomas Greenwood myself and have a copy of a photo of him and details from one of the Halifax newspapers. If you are able to post a copy of the photo which you have on here, then I could possibly confirm if your photo is the same man.

Best wishes, Robert

Hi Robert.

I don't have the photo I'm afraid, It disappeared after my eldest Uncle( who had all the family information) past away. I just know it was the Dukes because a relative who was in the DWR recognised the cap badge.

I'll finish this because I need to reply to your next message ...lol

I would tend to disagree here, for the reason that there is no Elizabeth or Isobel in the family you quote. However if you go to the 1891 census for Thomas Greenwood, this is the family:

Harry Driver Greenwood 28

Keyia Greenwood 30

Thomas ditto 8

Elizabeth Ann ditto 6

John Willie ditto 3

Edith ditto 10 months

Midgley, where the family were living at this time is up above Mytholmroyd and not more than 3 miles from Hebden Bridge. So I would think that this is the more likely family??

Robert

You've got the man. Robert.

Keyia (sic) Kezia was a family name and the name of my great great grand ma. I just recalled this after a conversation with my uncle which must have taken place over 30 years ago.

And my Great grand Mother who was called Lizzie/Izzy was born in 1885, ( (I will tell you the history of her Husband a real scallywag in a future post)

and I remember Edith ...god I remember this lady .. a proper old Auntie, But I never associated her with this side of the family. she moved to Blackpool.. well anyway thanks so much , I can concentrate on Tom with my research and carry on with my Uncles work.

Incidentally, 6513 Thomas Greenwood is stated to have served during the South African War and in India by CWGC--obviously from information given by the family. This is true in as much as he enlisted in 1900, however he was at Home from 10/10/1900 until 1/6/1902 and did not reach South Africa until 2/6/1902 after the war had finished. He then served in India from 8/9/02 until 23/12/08 and was at Home on 24/12/08 and went onto the Reserve from 25/12/08 until 4/8/14 when he was recalled proceeding to France on 9/8/14.

following on a family tree on Ancestry, the son of 6513 Thomas Greenwood was killed in India in 1942 with the 2nd Battn

http://www.cwgc.org/...asualty=2510170

photo of Harry Driver Greenwood is online at :

http://picasaweb.google.com/103712110309010874913/MidgleyInThe1920sTo1940s?gsessionid=ebbNdMuZ18-sU48v2NRgiw#5531228292109561442