Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

horace curtis vc - medals

Guest daidpo

hopefully attached is an image showing the medals awarded to horace curtis (my wife's great grandfather). i believe the medals in the top row are the victoria cross, the 1914-15 star (although horace enlisted in aug 1914, his battalion, 7th (service) royal dublin fusiliers served in gallipoli, macedonia and palestine before going to france in 1918 where it was reduced to a cadre and surplus personnel, of which horace was one, were absorbed by the 2nd battalion royal dublin fusiliers), the british war medal and victory medal. i have no idea what the 2 medals in the bottom row are.

i would be grateful if any one could identify them, hazard a guess or correct me if my identification of the other medals is incorrect.

many thanks for your help, dave

ps this is my first posting so apologies if its not quite right !

post-23-1089821389.jpg

Why does Queen Elizabeth II face right but the George VI Medal have them facing left?

As with Coinage it was customary to "Change Direction" with each Monarch,this would have continued with Edward VIII but we all know what happened to him!;consequently George V & George the VI,both face the same way! :blink:

Little off topic but prompted by Harry's post - but think there were some medals (but not sure which) struck with EDWARD VIII head - I think I saw an LS medal once in an auction catalogue a few yrs back tho.

This may have to go as a new post (& moderator feel free to move it if you feel so) but has anyone an EDWARD VIII example?? :blink:

Bryan