Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Samuel Mitchell

Wesley Wright

Samuel Mitchell -1st Royal Inniskillen Fusiliers-no.28963--died 15th October 1918 and is buired in Duhallow Cemetery-- he was born in Glendermot-Londonderry.

The great grand-daughter informs me that the family originally came from Donegall to Londonerry and she knows most of the family details. She would like to know more about his military background?

Very little on ancestry! Anyone help? Thanks Wesley Wright

Wesley

I have a picture of a Corporal Samuel T Mitchell (RInF with Ulster Division) with an address at 18 Wauchope Street Belfast - could this be your man?

If so, let me know and I will email the picture to you.

Regards

Nigel

Name: Samuel Mitchell

Birth Place: Glendermott, Co. Derry

Death Date: 15 Oct 1918

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Londonderry

Regiment: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Number: 28963

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

He only served overseas with the RIF and first went overseas after 1 Jan 1916.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Samuel Mitchell is listed on the North Londonderry County Absent Voters list. On the original printed version it gives his battalion as the 9th and on the handwritten ammendments it says the 1st.

The battalions were re-organised in early 1918. A lot of 10th Btn men went into the 2nd and 9th when they were disbanded.

If Samuel was not with the 9th around this time due to wounds or illness on his return he may have gone to the 1st instead as the 9th would have had a large influx of men.

The 1st Btn at that time being part of the Ulster Division he would have come through thier base for dipersal.

He should be named on the Glendermott Church of Ireland memorial [ irrespective of whether he was C of I ] as well but i am not in a position to check. This is located adjacent to the Church entrance.

Rob

• 7 months later...

The great grand daughter never contacted me again. I do not know how to contact her--so trail goes cold--so sorry.

Wesley Wright

• 1 year later...

Nigel ,

Corporal Samuel T Mitchell of Wauchope St. Was my grandfather. He was in the Inniskilling Fusiliers, and was wounded. I would be very grateful for a copy of the photograph.