Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Insignia Machine Gun Corps?

HoraceG

Hi Guys,

I am new to the Forum and thought I'd start off by posing a question regarding the attached insignia.

I am interested in the MGC as my Grandfather served in the Corps and have accumulated a very large number of badges and insignia etc.

Occasionally some come up that I haven't come across before.

This is one of those! It has been described as an Early MGC badge but I'm not so sure.

The 'guns' seem to be canons.

Has anyone any ideas?

Regards

HoraceG

post-78076-0-03016000-1313606905.jpg

Welcome to the Forum, Horace.

This isn't an MGC badge, but a Royal Artillery skill or qualification badge of some kind. I forget which, but someone will certainly know and you probably won't have long to wait! It looks to be WW1 period.

Regards,

W.

Welcome to the forum Horace, Wainfleet is right, this is a 'Best RA Battery Prize' badge and was worn by all the NCOs and men in the battery,

cheers, Jon

Horace,

I am looking at a photograph of my Grandfather wearing this badge in 1898. I understand that it is a Battery proficiency badge, he was in the Royal Garrison Artillery. My father also wore a similar badge during WW2 and post WW2. He was an Ack IG. A Warrant Officer instructor gunnery. However I am not sure whether the Crown, or in his case, the Royal Coat of arms was beneath the crossed guns. Kings Crown could be as recent as the 50s.

Tony P

Nice One Guys!

I thought it was a bit strange for the MGC.

Thanks very much for the swift responses. Another poser coming very shortly!

Regards

HoraceG

In later days also used for 'Sergeant Major Instructor in Gunnery' (or SMIG - never call one that to his face).

Horace,

I am looking at a photograph of my Grandfather wearing this badge in 1898. I understand that it is a Battery proficiency badge, he was in the Royal Garrison Artillery. My father also wore a similar badge during WW2 and post WW2. He was an Ack IG. A Warrant Officer instructor gunnery. However I am not sure whether the Crown, or in his case, the Royal Coat of arms was beneath the crossed guns. Kings Crown could be as recent as the 50s.

Tony P

The same badge was used initially as a Prize Badge and then later as the badge for an instructor of gunnery (warrant officer / sergeant major) as you have stated. This illustration is I think courtesy of Grumpy.

post-599-0-02774400-1313959043.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys,

I am new to the Forum and thought I'd start off by posing a question regarding the attached insignia.

I am interested in the MGC as my Grandfather served in the Corps and have accumulated a very large number of badges and insignia etc.

Occasionally some come up that I haven't come across before.

This is one of those! It has been described as an Early MGC badge but I'm not so sure.

The 'guns' seem to be canons.

Has anyone any ideas?

Regards

HoraceG

Hi Horace

I am attempting to construct the batle patch schemes of British divivisions of the Great War - infantry bns, pioneer bn, MG Coys and TMBs. I would be very much interested to hear what MGC insignia you have.

Best regards

Kendo