Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing a relatives medals

RichardW

Could somebody please give me some guidance? I've recently 'discovered' a relative who was killed in Salonika during WW!. Would love to track down his medals. No-one in the family has any idea what happened to them.

What are my chances of tracking them down, and how might I go about it?

Any advice gratefully received.

Hi richardw,

the short answer is "anybody's guess" - My Gt Grandfather's medals are nowhere to be found, and I doubt whether they even reached his wife as she had moved by the time the medals were dispatched.

However, the logistics of tracing who the medals may have been sent to in the first instance might give you a starter - the PRO holds a record of all medals sent, and (other pals please correct me on the next bit) on the record there is a note of the address and who they were sent to - and whether a receipt for delivery was obtained. (I could be mixing up this last bit from a letter included on my Gt Grandfather's service record).

Also, check the section on the forum for Interpreting Medal Index cards, you might be able to elicit the infinitely more knowledgeable experts who post in this area.

hope this is of help

rgds

doogal

Hi Richard-

Would you please be as kind as to produce your relative's particulars: name, service number, unit, rank. Any information would be useful and I will check with my records just in case they have popped up in the last few years. All the best

Dimitri