Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Unusual notation in medal roll

Chris_Baker

This is an extract from the roll of the 1914-15 Star to men who ended their war service with the Army Veterinary Corps. The man I am interested in is John Harris, SE/34355. He had originally enlisted into the Rifle Brigade and transferred to the AVC in May 1918. But what does the "NA533" refer to? He is the only man I could see who had a similar notation, and as you can see most of the others were transferred to Class Z Army Reserve. I've exhausted every reference I could think of ... any ideas welcome. Could it refer to a re-enlistment?

post-1-0-73779400-1313492326.jpg

Chris

I believe it indicates a re-enlistment. NA/ prefixed numbers were issued by the AVC in 1919 to indicate a re-enlistment for a one year period under Army Order 238 of 1919. By way of example NA/586 was issued on 3rd November 1919.

Steve

Thank you, Steve. I had an inkling that it might be a 1919 re-enlistment, but had never come across the NA before. Do the letters mean mean anything in particular, do you know?

Do the letters mean mean anything in particular, do you know?

Sorry Chris, no idea. That particular numbering scheme was short lived though as the seven digit numbers were introduced the following year.

Steve