The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

HELP PLEASE !

robert mckee

I AM LOOKING FOR SOME MORE INFO ON....SAMUEL WALES...9TH BATT ROYAL IRISH RIFLES...KIA 23/11/17

MUCH APPRECIATED

ROBERT

Here he is...

Name:WALES, SAMUEL

Initials:S

Nationality:United Kingdom

Regiment/Service:Royal Irish Rifles

Unit Text:9th Bn.

Date of Death:23/11/1917

Service No:607

Additional information:Son of James Wales, of 10, McIvor's Place, Belfast.

Casualty Type:Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference:Panel 10.

Memorial:CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL

...if i find any more, I'll let you know

Yana

Born in Shankill, Belfast, and enlisted in Belfast, Killed in action.

Here he is...

Yana

Here he is...

Yana

thanks Lana......thats about what i have....if you come up with anything else give me a shout

thanks again for your help

robert

Born in Shankill, Belfast, and enlisted in Belfast, Killed in action.

thanks for your help...if you do find out anymore let me know

Robert

thanks for your help...if you do find out anymore let me know

Robert

His MIC has just the BWM/Victory medal and his full number is 19/607 so this may indicate he was with the 19th (Reserve) Bn before joining the 9th Bn ?

1911 Census, Little Henry Street, Dock Ward, Belfast.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Dock_Ward__Belfast_Clifton_/Little_Henry_Street/131744/

Mick.

His MIC has just the BWM/Victory medal and his full number is 19/607 so this may indicate he was with the 19th (Reserve) Bn before joining the 9th Bn ?

1911 Census, Little Henry Street, Dock Ward, Belfast.

http://www.census.na..._Street/131744/

Mick.

thanks Mick......thats def the family

my aunt who is 98 remembers them living in Mcivors place, Belfast,

im trying to discover their relationship to William, Alexander and Robert Wales who were my grandmother Ellens, brothers,

thanks again for all your help

Robert

thanks Lana......thats about what i have....if you come up with anything else give me a shout

thanks again for your help

robert

You should download his war diary for the 9th Battn from The National Archives, it would tell you what happened the day he died and if anyone else was killed with him. They are very useful and only cost £3.50.

It's funny you should write my name as Lana not Yana, Lana is the name of my dog!

I've just tried looking for the 9th Btn RIR (TNA page) and clicking on "Order printed or digital copies of this record" took me to the "Paying for research" page, so I don't think it's been digitised yet. It's a massive undertaking and they are working their way through, with more coming online all the time. I was informed on a visit to Kew that they do intend digitising them all but there's no real timeframe and they're (understandably) doing the most popular (and therefore more fragile ones) first. Once they're digitised the originals will no longer be available to the public.

You could try posting in the diaries section of the Forum, as some members do hold copies of various diaries. Failing that, you could post a request on the look-ups section as some of us do get to the Archives from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just tried looking for the 9th Btn RIR (TNA page) and clicking on "Order printed or digital copies of this record" took me to the "Paying for research" page, so I don't think it's been digitised yet. It's a massive undertaking and they are working their way through, with more coming online all the time. I was informed on a visit to Kew that they do intend digitising them all but there's no real timeframe and they're (understandably) doing the most popular (and therefore more fragile ones) first. Once they're digitised the originals will no longer be available to the public.

You could try posting in the diaries section of the Forum, as some members do hold copies of various diaries. Failing that, you could post a request on the look-ups section as some of us do get to the Archives from time to time.

thanks a lot.....have hit a brick wall with this one....im trying to find out his relationship to my great uncle William Wales who was injured on the same day as Samuel was killed, William died next day at nearby CCS, both at the battle of Cambrai, I know they were related, just dont know how.....any ideas....

thanks again

Robert