Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vickers MG belt filling tool

jay dubaya

Hoping a forum pal may be able to help with some pictures of the belt filling tool used by the Vickers MG crews during 1916, any help will be most appreciated,

cheers, Jon

ahh...that's the kiddie, thanks for that. At what rate did these machines work and was it a two man job?

cheers, Jon

Thanks for that Richard, nice to see it clamped in situ, it looks like a simple no fuss tool. I'm currently researching a relative who served with the MGC (Cavalry). I've just read 'Coppard's 'With a MG to Cambrai' and quote;

'The gun ripped through its first belt in less than half a minute. I reloaded, gave the gun a check-up, and continued the process. In the meantime, Number Three was crawling to and fro, building up the supply of ammo. The rest of the team were in the dugout, filling the empty belts by a hand-operated machine'.

How easy was this tool to use under these conditions and how quick could a belt be filled?

cheers, Jon

Under those conditions? We'll never know.

In general terms. Quite easy to use, especially for well-trained men with a well-maintained piece of equipment. Even after 100-years, the one I have works well and can be learnt quite quickly. It could be worked quite well in low-light conditions as you rely on the machine to correctly position the rounds.

Richard