Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt-Col. John Cyril Porte CMG, RAF

michaeldr

I do not know very much about this officer since, to tell the truth, I only came across his name yesterday. The obituary below from 'Flight' says "late R.A.F." and I think that Col. Porte probably had to retire suddenly because of deteriorating health (T.B.)

I wonder if that is why I cannot find him on the CWGC Debt of Honour. Could it be that he was excluded because his TB pre-dated his re-joining the RNAS in 1914?

From Flight, October 30th, 1919

To Lieut.-Col. JOHN CYRIL PORTE, late R.A.F., who died on October 22, aviation in general, and the flying-boat in particular, owes a great deal. Born at Brandon, Cork, on February 26, 1884, Lieut.-Col. Porte first turned his attention to aviation when serving in the submarine section of the Royal Navy. He experimented with gliders, and learned to fly in 1910, after building a small machine of the Santos-Dumont Demoiselle type. He actually qualified for a pilot's certificate in France in 1911 on a Deperdussin monoplane. He flew this make of machine in the circuit of Britain of 1911, and in the Military Trials of 1912. In 1914 he went to the United States with a view to making a flight across the Atlantic on a flying-boat, built by the Curtiss Co. under his supervision. On the outbreak of War Lieut. Porte returned home and on rejoining the R.N.A.S. set to work to develop the flying-boat for naval purposes. For some time he was in command at the R.N.A.S. station at Hendon, but then went to Felixstowe, where the " Felixstowe Fury " was developed. On the formation of the R.A.F. he became Lieut.-Col. He was an Associate Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society.

There is some further information here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cyril_Porte

http://www.earlyaviators.com/eporte.htm

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 3 JUNE, 1918.

Chancery of the Order of

Saint Michael and Saint George.

Downing Street,

3rd June, 1918.

The KING has been graciously pleased, on

the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to give

directions for the following appointments to

the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael

and Saint George, in recognition of distinguished

services rendered in connection with

the war: —

To be Additional Members of the Third Glass,

or Companions, of the said Most Distinguished

Order:—

Lieutenant-Colonel John Cyril Porte, Royal Air Force.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 16 DECEMBER, 1919

AWARDS OF FOREIGN DECORATIONS.

His Majesty the KING has granted unrestricted

permission for the wearing of the undermentioned

decorations, conferred upon the

Officers and other ranks indicated for valuable

services rendered in connection with the

War: —

CONFERRED BY THE PRESIDENT of THE UNITED

STATES OF AMERICA.

The Distinguished Service Medal.

Lieut.-Colonel John Cyril Porte, C.M.G. (Deceased.)

regards

Michael

Michael

If his TB did pre-date his period of service, he would not be accepted for commemoration. For post-discharge/resignation/retirement cases, the fatal illness must relate to the time in service.

I have a feeling that this case was looked at many years ago but I am struggling to recall the circumstances. I'll see what I can find in the records - perhaps it was mentioned on GWF long ago.

Terry,

Thanks for looking at this case. I used a GWF search using 'Porte' but did not come up with anything. Reading the biographies available on the web, I think that his TB must have developed during his first (pre-war) period of service in the Navy, though I understand that this is unlikely to fit the CWGC criteria.

Regards

Michael