Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who was Stanley Hurford?

yjaff

Hi all,

I am researching the soldier Stanley Hurford, middle name probably James.

My family history says he died in 1918 but on other sites (he is not on CWGC) it says 1916 for a Stanley James Hurford.

He may have been born in Leyton and married Constance Ada Willmott but other than that I know nothing and would really like to know more.

A census would have the information I think, but I don't have any access to them. This would just be a suggestion as I have no idea where to go!!

I especially hope to find out when he enlisted and what regiment he went into, family information would also be great to add to my tree, so basically anything you find would be really useful! Also if you have time I have some other members of the family who i just want to know if the joined the war and especially Albert Arthur Hargreaves as someone found something about him and it would mean he would have had to lie about his age, which is very interesting...http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=167512&st=0&p=1630343&fromsearch=1entry1630343

Thanks in advanced, any information on him would be greatly appreciated and I hope to build up a picture of him.

I am sorry as i feel i am asking a lot!

unsure.gif

Could this be your man?

Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19

Name: Stanley James Hurford

Initials: S J

Birthplace: Swindon Wiltshire.

Residence: Leyton,Essex

Enlisted: Stratford,Essex.

Regiment: Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

Battalion: 5th Battalion.

Number: T/3583.

Date Died: 24 June 1916.

How Died: Died.

Theatre of War: M.E.F.

Notes: Formerly 18315,^th Battalion,Royal Fusiliers.

Bob

The man you mention is on CWGC

Name: HURFORD

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

Unit Text: 1st/5th Bn.

Date of Death: 24/06/1916

Service No: 3583

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. S. 8.

Cemetery: BASRA WAR CEMETERY

Additionally SDGW has -

Birth Place: Swindon, Wilts.

Residence: Leyton, Essex

Enlistment Location: Stratford, Essex

Formerly 18315, 6Th Battn., R. Fus.

John

Could this be your man?

Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19

Name: Stanley James Hurford

Birthplace: Swindon Wiltshire.

Residence: Leyton,Essex

Enlisted: Stratford,Essex.

Regiment: Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

Battalion: 5th Battalion.

Number: T/3583.

Date Died: 24 June 1916.

How Died: Died.

Theatre of War: M.E.F.

Notes: Formerly 18315,^th Battalion,Royal Fusiliers.

Bob

Wow, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It seems to be him, I have nothing really to go of but that seems to match up with the little information I have! I wondered why he was not on the CWGC site if he died in 1918. I have had another look and you're right and it says he is in Basra cemetery in Iraq, I would never have guessed that! Does anyone know anything about this other than what it say on CWGC? I would also be very grateful if anyone is able to come across a picture of a census including him as I have found it to be very useful in the past.

I would also like to know more about him,whether there is a photo anywhere, his family, when he was born etc...

Thanks for the help Bob...and John (you only just appeared!) Yes it seems i was mistaken with the date!

Yana

Yana,

1891 Census. 72Haydon Street ,Swindon.

Charles D Hurford 1866 Gasfitter Westminster London.

Emily M Hurford 1863 Vauxhall London.

Arthur T Hurford 1887 Fulham London.

Mabel E Hurford 1889 Fulham London.

Stanley J Hurford 1890 Swindon Wilts.

1901 Census. 84 Frith Road, Low Leyton.

Add

Clara Hurford 1893 Stratford ,Essex.

George Hurford 1895 Stratford,Essex.

Charles Hurford 1896 Stratford, Essex.

Kitty Hurford 1898 Stratford, Essex.

Winifred Hurford 1900 Stratford, Essex.

1911 Census. 11 Grove Green Road Leytonstone.

Add

Frank Hurford 1902 Leytonstone,Essex.

Maurice Hurford 1905 Leytonstone,Essex.

Stanley's occupation is given as a compositor.

Bob

Yana,

1891 Census. 72Haydon Street ,Swindon.

Charles D Hurford 1866 Gasfitter Westminster London.

Emily M Hurford 1863 Vauxhall London.

Arthur T Hurford 1887 Fulham London.

Mabel E Hurford 1889 Fulham London.

Stanley J Hurford 1890 Swindon Wilts.

1901 Census. 84 Frith Road, Low Leyton.

Add

Clara Hurford 1893 Stratford ,Essex.

George Hurford 1895 Stratford,Essex.

Charles Hurford 1896 Stratford, Essex.

Kitty Hurford 1898 Stratford, Essex.

Winifred Hurford 1900 Stratford, Essex.

1911 Census. 11 Grove Green Road Leytonstone.

Add

Frank Hurford 1902 Leytonstone,Essex.

Maurice Hurford 1905 Leytonstone,Essex.

Stanley's occupation is given as a compositor.

Bob

Bob,

Wow that really helps as i can put it in to context now and know his family. Do have a picture of the documents, as it looks great in their own handwriting and it might be useful in other ways? if you PM me and i will give my email address, also does that mean he was one of ten siblings or am i reading it wrong! (that is why the picture would be of use- so i can keep track of everyone in the family!!!)

Thanks, you have been a great help, i will now do some more research into the rest of them to see if any of the brothers have any history in the war!

Regards

Yana

Hi,i live in Swindon and most of the people living in that time in Hayden Street would have had a connection with the Railways.

Not saying your man did but maybe his family did....good luck with your research and if you need any research doing in Swindon feel free to ask.

Thanks for the offer Leefer, it seems from the census that when he was 11 he moved to Leyton in Essex. And well done, the head of the family Charles D Hurford was a gas fitter and his industry or service he was involved in was the Railway!

Good luck to you as well

Yana

Yana

Stratford was a big railway centre at the turn of the last century - lots of marshalling yards and engineering shops near the current Olympic site. Grove Green road is just round the corner from me - bog standard 3 or 4 bedroom terraces - how you fitted a family of 12 in beggars belief.

Yana

Stratford was a big railway centre at the turn of the last century - lots of marshalling yards and engineering shops near the current Olympic site. Grove Green road is just round the corner from me - bog standard 3 or 4 bedroom terraces - how you fitted a family of 12 in beggars belief.

Yes, it is hard to imagine them being such a large family, let alone living in there, they also had another child which died young!

And other (separate) parts of my family lived around the corner in Leyton and Stanley eventually was married in to it in 1915.