Thanks

Ady

Hi

Can anyone tell me the significance of PI Prefix on an RAF service number

Air 76 states PI 27569 as number He was James Tulloch also possibly 54930

Thanks

Ady

Ady,

I may stand to be corrected, but my understanding is that PI stands for Personal Index (number) and that these numbers were created for officers (all of whom were previously unnumbered) during preparation of a combined RFC and RNAS officer seniority list in the lead up to the meger of the RFC and RNAS into the RAF. Those officers who remained with the RAF postwar retained their number throughout their service.

Errol

Thanks Errol

I havent a clue when it comes to decyphering RAF records so grateful for your input

Ady

Airman 54930 was a J Tulloch who joined on 14/01/17 as a Shoemaker with rank of AM/2. His record will be in class AIR79/501 at The National Archive

John_g

www.66squadron.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for this info - Ady, Errol Martin too .

I've always wondered why my Namesake Uncle Lt P W Anderson, 8th Black Watch , 10 Black Watch, & 18 Sqn RFC RAF who died back home in Arbroath Scotland had a service number of PI 1250 as I thought that Officers in the HM Forces of WW1 did not have service numbers like ORs had. My namesake uncle died of his 27 june 1918 wounds on 2 Nov 1921 but is only a wound casualty and not a death casualty per War Office /MOD as he died after 31 Aug 1921 . (gunshot wounds stomach and thigh ) .

thanks for the info on PI service numbers

pat w anderson