Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ypres Brooch

alantwo

Hi Everyone

Can anyone identify the badge/brooch in the photograph and what it is for. It is approximately 25mm wide, has a safety type pin to the back and is engraved with "YPRES" on the front.

Regards

Alan

Hi Everyone

Can anyone identify the badge/brooch in the photograph and what it is for. It is approximately 25mm wide, has a safety type pin to the back and is engraved with "YPRES" on the front.

Regards

Alan

It looks like conjoined shamrocks and thus perhaps with an Irish connotation. Beyond that and the Ypres association it is difficult to be more specific. I am unaware of any Divisional or Brigade sign in that form.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Frogsmile. I can't make head nor tail of it either. I have borrowed the brooch from my Father over the weekend and I'll see if I can get a better photograph and one of the back as well. The Irish connection doesn't fit with my Grandfather's Regiment.

Regards

Alan

Thanks for taking the time to reply Frogsmile. I can't make head nor tail of it either. I have borrowed the brooch from my Father over the weekend and I'll see if I can get a better photograph and one of the back as well. The Irish connection doesn't fit with my Grandfather's Regiment.

Regards

Alan

Perhaps it is a clover, which I believe had an association with good luck.

Hi Everyone

I have attached a couple of photographs which show the brooch in a bit more detail. It certainly has a hand made quality about it. The wording 'Ypres' is less engraved on the scroll than I would say punched. The scroll is also a separate item and has tags that are folded back behind, I agree, what look like clover leaves. It may therefore have been added at a later date. It is clearly not as ornate as other souvenir badges elsewhere on the forum. It was certainly brought back from the Western Front but whether it was something someone simply put together out there as a keepsake I do not know. If anyone has any further thoughts I would appreciate them.

Kind regards

Alan

Ypres brooch rear view

I think you will find that it is souvenier battlefield brooch....bought to send home to wives and girlfriends. You see several different versions about some with goodluck symbols or coats of arms or unit badges, but all with a location on the front.

Elizabeth

Many thanks Elizabeth

Some of the souvenir brooches I have seen are very ornate, this version must have been the cheaper end of the market.

Kind regards

Alan