Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Welsh Regiment Tunic

Romagne1918

Can anyone tell me, based upon the collar badge and buttons, which battalion of the Welsh Regiment thiscuff rank tunic corresponds to? Any information is much appreciated.

post-54217-0-47640800-1313137836.jpg

post-54217-0-04276300-1313137844.jpg

post-54217-0-51248100-1313137849.jpg

Not sure you can nail it down to a specific battalion. The fact it is an officers tunic and he was serving in 1900 during the Boer War would mean he was probably a Captain at the start of the First War as he went on to survive and was likely to be with the BEF in 1914 you might be able to pin him down to a Battalion at the start of the war. As to where he was posted and promoted onto could be harder, but I suggest you comb the archives for an OBE awarded Boer war vetran who was with the BEF as a possible Captain in 1914.

Rob

Can anyone tell me, based upon the collar badge and buttons, which battalion of the Welsh Regiment thiscuff rank tunic corresponds to? Any information is much appreciated.

Is there no name on the tailor's label somewhere on an inside pocket perhaps?

Now that was cheeky, why didn't I think of a label!

Rob

Thanks for the info. Could I ask: are these the correct collar badges that match the Welsh Regt buttons? Are these the standard Welsh Div collar badges? What are the ribbons before the WWI ones? Thanks very much

Not sure you can nail it down to a specific battalion. The fact it is an officers tunic and he was serving in 1900 during the Boer War would mean he was probably a Captain at the start of the First War as he went on to survive and was likely to be with the BEF in 1914 you might be able to pin him down to a Battalion at the start of the war. As to where he was posted and promoted onto could be harder, but I suggest you comb the archives for an OBE awarded Boer war vetran who was with the BEF as a possible Captain in 1914.

Rob

Thanks for the info. Could I ask: are these the correct collar badges that match the Welsh Regt buttons? Are these the standard Welsh Div collar badges? What are the ribbons before the WWI ones? Thanks very much

His other medals are the Order of the British Empire (Military) and the Queen's and King's South Africa Medals. The collar badges are second pattern and those specifically of the Welsh Regiment (late 41st Regt of Foot) and not the Welsh Division, which is something entirely different. They were adopted between the two world wars.