Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1914 xmas tin

jwp2007

just spotted this on EB and wondered if anyone had seen this style of tin, there are two on sale, the link to the one from the US is the most expensive, not seen any like this before.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1914-Christmas-Brass-Tin-Troops-Unusual-Style-/300572756736?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fb884b00

regards,

John.

Nothing 'unusual' about them - they are modern fakes.

Not necessarily all that modern, but certainly unofficial. This design was manufactured as a souvenir from the 1920's, but many came out of a factory in Colne, Lancashire up to the 1990's.

dave

many thanks,Phil and Dave,

any more details on the colne factory Dave ?, just interested as its fairly local to me,

John.

any more details on the colne factory Dave ?, just interested as its fairly local to me,

Not really... just that they had an original 1920's die for the lid and used to manufacture these boxes as 'testers', making the rest of the box to fit. Latter production was purely just for sake of experimentation I think but, earlier, they did make them to order (you used to be able to pick the slight duffers up from the skips outside) across the globe... very cheaply at a couple of quid a piece. They used to make them of the hinged lid variety too on occasion, but the removable lid was more akin to the original 'unofficial' souvenir.

Can't recall its name, but it was located at the top of the hill near the police station.

Dave

There is a while thread about these somewhere.