Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Citadel

LEUZEWOOD

Hi everyone,

Does anybody have any info please, photos, maps etc. of a camp near Bray sur Somme called the Citadel. Not sure if i'm getting mixed up, but was this also nicknamed 'Happy Valley'? The following is a description from the 4th Londons War History...

"This march terminated at a large concentration camp known as the Citadel about two miles north of Bray....The concentration camp covered an enormous area on the rolling hillsides above the Somme and presented an astounding spectacle of numbers of units from every arm of the Service—gunners, infantry, engineers—besides vast stores of materials of all kinds."

I was in the region recently and visited Citadel New Military Cemetary on the way to Bray (shown in the distance below) - I presume this must have been where the camp was located?

post-77311-0-70337200-1313047804.jpg

Tom, visit the McMaster web site by following this link: http://lt1.mcmaster.ca/ww1/wrz4mp.php?grid=62d&map_id=97&view

Scale it up to 12%, locate Bray and go north 2 grid squares (L3a if you can read a trench map, otherwise look for Happy Valley). It is 2,000 yards north of Bray, so meets your criteria.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Tom. CWGC page on Citadel Cemetery says: In the Autumn of 1916 the Citadel became a large camp for units withdrawn from the line.

John.

Great, thanks for the info guys.

I'm new to the forum, and after several posts, you are my first replies. I was beginning to wonder if it was something I said!

My great grandfather passed through the Citadel in early September with the 4th Londons on his way to the front line at Leuze Wood. I'm trying to put a map together showing his movements during the war, so this is a great addition.

Would be nice to think that there might be some kind soul out there with some photos of the camp they could share?

Hi Tom.

I've done a quick Google earth with a trench map overlay. Couldn't get the two maps to line up as well as I had hoped but it happens. The trench map is 62dNE2 Meaulte dated 15/6/1916. The word CITADEL can just be seen at the location of a present day traffic island in square 21(B). To the bottom of the picture is the Runway of the aircraft factory at Meaulte.

Dave

post-66135-0-80438000-1313068877.jpg

Tom

Forgot to mention that the Citadel New Military CWGC cemetery you visted is situated to the left of the Traffic island and looks like a diagonal strip of green at the island's 2 o'clock possition.

Dave.

Not particularly helpful in locating the site, but of interest, Sidney Rogerson refers to going into rest at Citadel Camp in his memoir 'Twelve Days'

I'm new to the forum, and after several posts, you are my first replies. I was beginning to wonder if it was something I said!

My great grandfather passed through the Citadel in early September with the 4th Londons on his way to the front line at Leuze Wood. I'm trying to put a map together showing his movements during the war, so this is a great addition.

Tom;

A word of unsolicited advice. You are clearly focued on one regiment, etc.

You didn't even mention if you were thinking about matters in 1914 or 1918. Someone might have useful information but not have the specific knowledge of what your regiment of interest was up to.

Not trying to be a pain or pompous (although I am pompous, to be sure). But I often see people make a query on the Forum with a lack of information, and just hang there twisting in the wind without a response.

Welcome to the Forum!

Bob Lembke

Thanks everyone again for your kind efforts - much appreciated.

Apologies for any lack of info in my post (thanks for the advice Bob). In my haste and enthusiasm I neglected to say that it was September 1916 that my Great Grandfather and the 4th Londons passed through - although my original query wasn't necessarily date specific.

Thanks again - excellent forum.

Tom, don't know if you've come across it but my book on Combles might be of interest?

http://www.battlefie...om/prbook04.htm

You could order it via this Forum's Amazon link and help forum funds a bit.

Thanks Paul, great to hear from you. I already have your book amongst others - it's been a big help in piecing together a picture of my great grandfather's war.

Would love to pick your brains about it, but I'm sure you get bombarded with requests!

I'll be sure to buy any books via the amazon link in future.