Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RESTORED MEMORIAL BOARD

ralphjd

Just had some good news from the UKNIWM they have listed the restored memorial board in my ownership on their site(ref 61621), board recovered from the cellar of Newhey Primitive Methodist Church just before it was demolished and the board given to me a few months ago.Almost as good a feeling as having an In From The Cold accepted. Ralph.

Good news, Ralph

You got any plans to display it in a perminant public home ?

Grant

Good to hear & welcome to the "I'm the custodian of a church memorial" club :hypocrite:

Now all you have to do is decide what to do with it (not as easy as you think). How many names do you have & can you identify them all?

Andy

Congratulations and well done for saving and preserving a piece of our heritage.

Dave

Thanks for the comments chaps. I have identified all 20 on the board one casualty only. What to do with it now ? as Andy says it is difficult, I would like to see it permanently displayed and not stuck in some basement archive or in my house where no one can see it. Any suggestions ? Ralph.

Thanks for thecomments chaps. I have identified all 20 on the board one casualty only. What to do with it now ? as Andy says it is difficult, I would like to see it permanently displayed and not stuck in some basement archive or in my house where no one can see it. Any suggestions ? Ralph.

Ralph

It seems a number of your men survived so it is unlikely they are on the town memorial (unlike my men); therefore your board is a unique record of local history.

Have you tried your local library, Town Hall, Community Centre e.t.c. to see if they are willing to display it.

Andy

Thanks Andy. The casualty appears on our village war memorial (I have met his grandaughter)the Town Hall (Rochdale)are not interested, the community centre also,therefore I shall have words with the local library, which has survived the local government cuts, with the proviso that if it ever closes the memorial board must be saved. Thanks again for your interest. Ralph.

Ralph

In order to protect the future of this board I would suggest that it is not given but loaned on a long term loan with ownership remaining yours. Stops them dumping it in say 5 or 10 years time when the next round of local government cuts hit.

Andy

I would suggest that you also specifically bequeath it in your will. That way it should go to someone who will want it and your executors should look for it and identify it and not let the house clearers throw it in a skip!

David