Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Descendants of WWI vets

Lisa3007

I'm trying to track down a living descendant of a Belgian WWI soldier. Anyone have leads?

Have you tried asking the Belgians?

Helpful Pete

Name names - you never know descendents tend to Google their ancestors! And Google indexes the Forum pretty effectively.

David

Lisa

You could ask a Belgian member here. I can remember one or two. SABINE72 comes to mind. She may be able to help you find your way.

I do know that there were Belgian army records from WW1 which were taken by the Germans in WW2,and a few years back the Russians gave them back to Belgium !! I remember the pics of the crates. They were in Brussels,at,I think, the Army Museum.

Sotonmate

Hi,

Picked this up from a website. May be useful.

Weefy

Records for Belgian Military Dead in WW1

Records for Belgian war dead of the First World War are held in the archive at the In Flanders Fields Museum in Ieper (Ypres). For information go to the Documentation Centre section of the In Flanders Fields Museum website at:

If I was trying to track down a living descendent of a British soldier, I'd start with whatever family history research I could undertake to try to establish where he lived and when he died. That would give a clue as to where current descendents might live. I might then try the local phone directory or electoral roll if it was an uncommon name. Otherwise, it'd be a matter of writing to the local newspaper and asking if any family could get in touch.

The same procedure is what you'd need to follow in Belgium.

Lisa

Yes,you need one more post before you can use the Personal Message system here. I will ask her to look at your thread.

Sotonmate

A little later ! Her box is taking no more messages at the moment.

Lisa

Yes,you need one more post before you can use the Personal Message system here. I will ask her to look at your thread.

Sotonmate

A little later ! Her box is taking no more messages at the moment.

Thank you, sotonmate!!

You can do it now !

• 6 years later...

i am here now , think my box is clean at the moment

Sadly, Lisa appears not to have visited the Forum since a week after her last post (13 above), so she obviously got fed up waiting.;)

On 17/02/2018 at 20:40, Steven Broomfield said:

she obviously got fed up waiting.

Yes, when youre researching men who have been dead for a century, you can understand how folk just can't wait more than a day or so. ;)

Or maybe she got a response from Aurel.

:D