Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemoration

heatherannej

Hello there,

Way back in November last year, I posted a query about Alexander Petrie born 14 December 1897, Rattray, Perthshire. He enlisted in the Army Service Corps and his service was Horse Transport, number T4/061835. He was discharged and "sent home to die" of T.B. Luckily his Service Record survived and actually documented his medical history and proved that he had been kept on duty whilst ill. He died in Rattray on 02 April 1917. My aim was to compile an application to submit to the CWGC and, thus, the MOD to get Alexander commemorated.

Many GWF members helped leading up to that, Phil Evans gave me some good advice via private email ...... I THANK YOU ALL because, without your help, I would not have compiled a good application and I would not have heard this morning that the application has been SUCCESSFUL!!!!!

I am SO pleased ..... I didn't dare hope for such an outcome.

Many thanks again. Heather

Well done Heather,

I've had the same experience and it feels good to get these warriors properly recognised, doesn't it? I have another case getting ready to go in the pipeline, so hope that is equally successful.

LST_164

Very well done Heather.

Never to be forgotten again.:poppy:

Walter.

Heather, that's awesome.

Rest in peace soldier boy, gone and no longer forgotten. poppy.gif

Well done Heather. Every one brought in from the cold is a real cause for celebration.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All ... thanks for the very good wishes. I am still on 'Cloud 9'. That said, I've been advised that it could take a long time for the headstone to materialise but, as Alexander has waited 94 years for this, I am being very patient. Any tips on how to commemorate the headstone going up will be much appreciated. What have other people done? Many thanks Heather

• 2 months later...

Just to keep you fine people updated ........ I heard from the CWGC's Regional Supervisor for Scotland last week. Alexander Petrie's headstone has been ordered :-) It is hoped to erect it in Blairgowrie Cemetery some time next year. It will be a granite one. Many thanks again. Heather