Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imperial Service Badges

Lachlan

Dear All

I understand that 1914/15 TF members who volunteered for active service were entitled to wear the silver/white metal "Imperial Service" breast badge. When did the issue of such badges cease ?

I thought it might have been when the TF divisions were activated in 1915, yet my Granddad, a piper in 2/7th Royal Scots (reserve unit of the 1/7th RS), was wearing his at Widford Camp, Chelmsford, Essex in June 1916.

post-60205-0-27531400-1312893091.jpg

This from Wiki quoting Westlake:

"The Territorial Force Imperial Service Badge was a short lived decoration of the United Kingdom awarded to those members of the Territorial Force who were prepared to serve outside the United Kingdom in defence of the Empire. The conditions of enlistment for the TF laid down at their creation in 1908 did not allow for soldiers to be sent for service overseas against their will, as the TF was intended for home defence. However, any man could volunteer for the Imperial Service Section and serve abroad in times of war, which entitled him to wear this badge."

Apparently, this was discontinued when the TF became the TA in the early 1920's although I should think that between the introduction of conscription in 1916 and the end of the war there was no need for it. Perhaps somebody could confirm this or otherwise enlighten us?

Having been awarded the badge however, the individual was still entitled to wear it.

From Wiki again:

Territorial Force Imperial Service Badge

Awarded by The United Kingdom

Type Badge

Eligibility Territorial Force - Ranks and Officers

Awarded for Granted to those members of the Territorial Force who were prepared to serve outside the United Kingdom in defence of the Empire

Campaign Mainly, but not restricted to, First World War.

Status This award:

• Ceased to exist when the Territorial Force became the Territorial Army in 1921.

Description as follows:

• Ribbon = None

• Metal = Cupro-nickel or Brass

• Size = 10mm by 43mm

• Shape = Horizontal Bar surmounted by royal crown. Raised inscription: IMPERIAL SERVICE.

1. Mackay, J., Mussell, J.W., Editorial Team of Medal News, (2005), The Medal Yearbook, page 226, (Token Publishing Limited)

I freely admit that I have photos of an Uncle, serving in the TF pre-WW1 and just before his November 1914 deployment, as a first-line Territorial, to France.

In none of his pre-WW1 photographs ,which stretch back to 1907 and extend to 1917,is he wearing an Imperial Service Badge. :D

George