Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Womens Auxiliary … …

michaeldr

Sharing a couple of pics I have not come across before

These two photographs are from the George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress), USA. The catalogue is rather vague about their date – 1910 to 1915?

They seem to have been taken at some training camp, almost certainly in the UK. What struck me as unusual is the ladies' headgear. Any comments as to their unit?

regards

Michael

BritishWomenArmyc1915.jpg

BritishWomenArmystretcherbearersc1915.jpg

Michael

Been waiting to see if anybody came up with an answer but with 42 views and no responses they remain unidentified. However, as they are dated 1910-1915 my initial thoughts are F.A.N.Y (First Aid Nursing Yeomanry). Primarily ladies of independent means who financed their own uniforms hence the headdress, just a guess. An enlargement of one of the 'helmets' suggests a large circular badge with a Red Cross with something below it, could be F.A.N.Y?

The fact that they are training with stretchers strenghtens my belief that they are F.A.N.Y. as, with the progress of WWI they drove a lot of ambulances.

As I say, not a definitive answer just my thoughts

Tony,

An enlargement of one of the 'helmets' suggests a large circular badge with a Red Cross with something below it, could be F.A.N.Y?

The top picture gives a slightly better enlargement that the second

and yes, the badge could well be that of F.A.N.Y.

Thanks for your suggestion on this

regards

michael

• Admin

I regret to say the first thought I had was The Womens Auxilliary Balloon Corps. :unsure::blink:

(I'll get me coat)

Michelle

Look a bit like standard pith helmets. No further comment :whistle: Antony