Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Siamese mystery Enfield?

brentoid56

I recently aquired this SMLE. the serial numbers are in Siamese? The rifle is marked BSA &Co with a BM and crown stamp and broad arrow. No date either which is unusual in my experience. It's in good shape, a little rusty. Shootable even. The chap who sold it to me said it was issued to the Siamese Imperial Guard. Which sounds like a pitch but it probably is Siamese. Never seen the like and I've seen literally hundreds of these things. It's the best picture I could get, sorry about the glare......and the rust, I know, it's deplorable, I haven't had time yet.

<a%20href=HPIM1689.jpg">

I recently aquired this SMLE. the serial numbers are in Siamese? The rifle is marked BSA &Co with a BM and crown stamp and broad arrow. No date either which is unusual in my experience. It's in good shape, a little rusty. Shootable even. The chap who sold it to me said it was issued to the Siamese Imperial Guard. Which sounds like a pitch but it probably is Siamese. Never seen the like and I've seen literally hundreds of these things. It's the best picture I could get, sorry about the glare......and the rust, I know, it's deplorable, I haven't had time yet.

<a%20href=HPIM1689.jpg">

Not a pitch actually, this is a "wild tiger corps" (who were indeed some form of royal guard/elite unit) Enfield from a contract fulfilled by BSA in the early 1920s (I'll check the numbers later). IIRC the Prince (future King) was educated in the UK and became enamoured of the SMLE and so when he became King an order was placed to arm the "Wild Tiger Corps" with SMLEs.

They were supplied with similarly marked bayonets (which were recycled standard British P1907s) Once in Siam most of these had the leather of the scabbard replaced with sheet metal although I have seen one tiger stamped leather scabbard.

They (both rifles and bayonets) are quite sought after by Enfield collectors but tend to be in roughish shape - this looks OK though. Bore/ exterior on mine is decent and it is all matching but the stock has been varnished at some point. This seems to be quite common on these and I suspect it has to do with the climate in Siam/Thailand.

Chris

A Siamese expeditionary force served in France in 1918. The last Thai veteran of WW1 died this century. Their uniforms and equipment appears to have been a mix of British and French. (the Siamese flying corps was still undergoing conversion training to 'modern' types in France when the war ended but some individuals did serve actively with French squadrons).

From Skennerton (TLES p 173)

"Siam ordered 10,000 SMLE rifles from BSA complete with bayonets and slings in January 1920, to a total value of 76,625 pounds. The order was completed by December of the same year. The inscription in Siamese (Thai) reads "Mark Rama VI BE 2462" BE2462 indicates Bhuddist Era 2462 (AD 1919 on European calendar).....King Vajiravualh reigned from 1910 to 1925 under the title Rama VI; h had been educated at Sandhurst. Upon completion of a musketry course at Hythe he was attached to the DLI for a short time. The tiger is representative of the Wild Tiger Corps, which the king founded in 1911 as a voluntary force largely composed of public servants and also included the Royal bodyguard."

post-14525-0-24489200-1312758224.jpg

post-14525-0-39258900-1312758243.jpg

Here's mine:

post-14525-0-99932300-1312758445.jpg

post-14525-0-89480900-1312758460.jpg

Well, I am amazed. That's great, the lore makes up for it's ratty condition, indeed, it seems to be a part of it.You must have a nice little armoury going there. I managed to lay my hands on one of those new edition Parker Hale .58 Enfield Musketoons a few years ago. But I digress. Thank you for the time.