Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Representatives

awakefield

Does anyone have information regarding the duties of Military Representatives for towns during WWI. Were these men mainly retired officers? Did they play a role in recruiting, organising home defence etc? In particular I'm interested in Walter Herbert Mills (born 12 Jan 1859) - during WWI he was Military Representative for Stockton-on-Tees.

Any details most welcome.

ALAN

Does anyone have information regarding the duties of Military Representatives for towns during WWI. Were these men mainly retired officers? Did they play a role in recruiting, organising home defence etc? In particular I'm interested in Walter Herbert Mills (born 12 Jan 1859) - during WWI he was Military Representative for Stockton-on-Tees.

Any details most welcome.

ALAN

There was a Military Representative on each Tribunal for Conscientious Objectors. This was the case at both local (Urban District Council, Rural District Council etc)

level and county level.

I would also assume that a Military Representative was also a member of the National Appeal Tribunal.

Their task seemed to be to get as many men into the army as possible.

As the C.O Tribunals were often the old Recruiting Tribunals under another name I would hazard a guess that the Recruiting Tribunals had a Military Representative. Others will confirm/refute this.

Assuming that this refers to local tribunals , then the military representative at local tribunals and local appeal tribunals was normally the local recruiting officer, or in his abscence, one of his staff. During WW1, these were often retired officers or those unfit for active service.

They were originally appointed to this post under the Derby Scheme, to get as many men of military age as possible attested. With the advent of conscription, they continued in this position and could raise objections to a man's application for deferred service, non-combatant service, or complete exemption.

The position of the Military Representative at the Central Tribunal was slightly different. A War Office Advisor, as he was known, only appeared at this tribunal, if the appellant appeared in person.

Your local newpaper, or indeed your local council minutes book, should be able to indentify whether or not your man was also the local recruiting officer.

I have a copy of what I assume is the Schedule to the Order in Council containing Regulations regarding Local And Appeals Tribunals. It defines "Military Representative" as "a recruiting officer or other representative of military interests generally or specially authorised by the General Officer Commanding in Chief of the Command acting on behalf of the Army Council".

• 2 weeks later...