The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help required understanding MIC Remarks

Will O'Brien

Hopefully someone with the knowledge will be able to explain the series of numbers & letters on the MIC remarks section of a soldier I've been researching.

It is as follows

Returned (1743 KR) 8153/Adt

then underneath

8153/Adt n.w/2/9427

then underneath that

e/598358/ &. e.j./9/3892.

Something similar appears on his medal roll entry

Retd 1743 KR (1912) CRY 418/13 7.9.23 8153/Adt

I assume the reference to Returned & Retd is suggesting the medals were returned to the issuers either because they couldn't be delivered or by the next of kin, but I would like to understand what the rest of it means.

Many thanks

Rtd Adt refers to Returned for Adjustment ie to correct a naming etc issue a not uncommon addenda on MiC the numbers refer to AMO references of correspondence most like!

HB :thumbsup:

Rtd Adt refers to Returned for Adjustment ie to correct a naming etc issue a not uncommon addenda on MiC the numbers refer to AMO references of correspondence most like!

HB :thumbsup:

Many thanks, that has cleared up a little mystery for me. The family in question lived in their property for many years so it was unlikely that the medals had been returned due to the next of kin living there & what I know of the family (very pro army, about half a dozen of them serving & the lengths they went to to try & find out what happened to the medal receipient) it was strange in my mind they had just returned them themselves. Returning them for an adjustment makes much more sense.