Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victory Cross

Casey

Is it possible for a soldier to be awarded the Victory Cross 'after' the war has ended, because information was later found in 'dispatches' which showed that he 'deserved ' the medal?

Yes the Victoria Cross was awarded on a number occassions "After The Event" ie/eg on release from POW Camp etc;{KOYLI springs to mind!}once new information concerning acts of Gallantry came to light;not common but by no means unheard of... :poppy:

HB. :thumbsup:

The information found in dispatches would have to be very convincing.

Hello all, please forgive 'ignorance', not sure if it was the Victoria Cross or Victory Cross, is there a difference? The family story at present is that our ancestor recieved the MM (have all records etc.) but because he went against orders to save many lives, he was 'reprimanded' only. Then, after the dispatches were read at a later date by the 'higher ups' it was decided that he should have been awarded the VC, no ceremony etc, sent to him by mail. He was so disgusted by the way 'they' handled the whole situation, that he sent it back. Just wondering if scenario could have been possible, and would there be any record?

He was WW1

I would say no this wouldn't be possible because as far as I am aware the citations and London Gazette were printed before or contemporaneously with the award actually being given to the participant, he would have been given plenty of notice and been able to refuse the award and it certainly wouldn't have been sent in the post with no public acknowledgment...But others may know different.

thank you for that, it is as I suspected. However, here is another scenario.... at the end of his long military career, he was commissioned into the HLI (not his original regiment)would this have been a 'thank you' for all the years that he had put in (20+), or would it have been possibly to reward him for past acts of gallanry?

not sure if it was the Victoria Cross or Victory Cross, is there a difference?

Yes.

The former is the the country's highest award for a singular act of bravery (only 1356 have been issued since 1856).

As far as I know, there's no such thing as the latter - although there was a Victory Medal which was issued to nearly 6 million soldiers who served.

However, here is another scenario.... at the end of his long military career, he was commissioned into the HLI (not his original regiment)would this have been a 'thank you' for all the years that he had put in (20+), or would it have been possibly to reward him for past acts of gallanry?

Assuming we are talking about the Victoria Cross, neither of your possibilities seem the slightest bit likely.

Family stories can be a funny old thing.

Thank You!....as said previously, it is as I thought, and will maybe not take too much pleasure in relaying the information, thanks again all.

If the medal arrived unannounced through the post after the war, that sounds like the Victory Medal, which, as John Hartley says, was awarded to millions of men who served. Your relative might well have returned it for amendment if there was some mistake in the inscription. The rest of the story does rather sound like embroidery, but a MM is still something to be proud of.

If you are willing to share his name there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, I'm sure you will discover a lot more about your ancestor. As Siege Gunner says the MM is still something to be proud of.

Also, since the man received a commission some records almost certainly still survive. For those demobilised at the end of the war the officers records are held at the National Archives at Kew, while for those who remained in service records remain with the MOD. Those at Kew show the evidence of being "weeded" by civil servants, but can still reveal much, (although not about gallantry awards).

Keith

At the very least the Medal Index card may show the return of the Victory Medal.

Unfortunately the passing down of this type of family history can on occasion end up rather like 'chinese wispers', plenty of substance but little reality to the original facts.

During research I have come across several instances where men were reputedly recommended for the Victoria Cross--however I am not certain if any of these claims can be substantiated as I am not certain if any record exists of such recommendations. Does anyone know?

Thank you both, I was given a multitude of information a few year ago through this forum, which was brilliant, have made a cd on g'dad which has now gone to family scattered around the globe. All reading it, and amazed at the story of the man. However, even though the MM index cards etc, and all documentation is included, there is still this nagging question/story passed down the family, that he did indeed/ or should have been awarded the VC. Only our 50's/60's generation left now to try and piece it all together. But what you have all verified today to me has been really helpful, and I think I have cleared things up. We are still wondering what he did to receive the MM ! If you would like to see a photo of g'dad on this forum, it was found years ago by Graham Stewart. Not sure what the topic would be under, but it's of Drum Major Walter J. Casey 2nd Northumberland Fusiliers, taken in 1903 Thanks again, may be back if more questions are asked!

I will keep quiet on this one, I have already had some criticism on another thread about the subject.

I don't have much doubt that those deserving of the award would have been turned down while others not so deserving recieved one. One of the men I researched, a CSM in the KOYLI aged 19 in 1916 was commissioned shortly after the Battle of the Somme, he was later awarded the MC in Italy, but I wonder how much his commision owed to his actions or the shortage of officers, I guess it was a combination of both.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 28 FEBRUARY, 1922. 1793

The undermentioned late temp. Qrmstr.

and Lieut, to be Qrmrs., with, the rank of Lt.

1st Mar. 1922: —

George Alexander Hadden.

George Haycock.

James Hewitt.

Walter John Casey.

We are still wondering what he did to receive the MM !

If you have the date of the MM award (say, from the London Gazette entry), then "the event" is usually about three months prior to this. Also assuming you've established which battalion he was serving with, then there may be a mention in the battalion war diary (or in a published battalion or regimental history)

Basically he was a temporary Lieutenant Quartermaster promoted to substantive Lieutenant Quartermaster, this rank was gazetted, ie made official in the London Gazette in 1922. This position was always taken by long serving warrant officers, and still was during the 80's when I served.